Mon. Sep 28th, 2026

Mike Nolan

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 4,246 through 4,260 (of 8,094 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: Dusted Flour on Rolls or Bread #27443
    Mike Nolan
    Keymaster

      I remember buying bakery breads that had a light dusting of flour on them.

      As I understand it, the flour affects how the crust forms, because it draws some of the moisture out of the surface.

      It can also be used for decorative effect.

      in reply to: What are You Cooking the Week of November 15, 2020? #27425
      Mike Nolan
      Keymaster

        I made about 1100 grams of apple pie filling today from 10 Jonagolds. I'll probably make an apple pie with them, either this week or for Thanksgiving.

        in reply to: What are You Cooking the Week of November 15, 2020? #27402
        Mike Nolan
        Keymaster

          I'm making a pot roast with a 7 bone chuck roast, and it smells wonderful.

          in reply to: First aid!! #27392
          Mike Nolan
          Keymaster

            If you google it, there's a lot of mixed opinion on whether Vaseline is good for burns. Several MD sites recommend against it.

            in reply to: First aid!! #27377
            Mike Nolan
            Keymaster

              Aloe is good for burns, too.

              in reply to: What are you Cooking the Week of November 8, 2020? #27367
              Mike Nolan
              Keymaster

                One year past the date on the label works for most foods, but not really acidic ones. Recently we were having some ham and found the only can of sliced pineapple we had was dated something like 2016. My wife opened it, but it smelled metallic so she tossed it.

                I suspect the pumpkin is OK, but you might plan to have another can on hand if/when you decide to use it.

                in reply to: Dinner roll recipe? #27366
                Mike Nolan
                Keymaster

                  I suspect she meant 25 seconds, not 25 minutes.

                  in reply to: Covid 19: The Next Six Months #27351
                  Mike Nolan
                  Keymaster

                    Stay safe, Joan!

                    in reply to: Dinner roll recipe? #27350
                    Mike Nolan
                    Keymaster

                      Sorry I'm late to the topic, but Hamelman's soft butter rolls are excellent. My personal favorite for dinner rolls remains Parker House rolls, but they're a lot of work.

                      in reply to: Maple Sugar and Maple Syrup #27338
                      Mike Nolan
                      Keymaster

                        I still see maple syrup labeled as grade B here in Nebraska, too. This was a case of government taking action that wasn't necessary, IMHO.

                        in reply to: What are you Baking the Week of November 8, 2020? #27331
                        Mike Nolan
                        Keymaster

                          I made the Clonmel Double Crusty bread in a Pullman pan today, I used around 26 ounces of flour and it didn't quite fill out the corners on the top, so if I make it again I'd probably increase the flour by about an ounce. I'm going to use most of it for croutons.

                          in reply to: What are you Cooking the Week of November 8, 2020? #27329
                          Mike Nolan
                          Keymaster

                            I'm getting ready to make a pot of potato leek soup for tonight.

                            in reply to: What are you Baking the Week of November 8, 2020? #27323
                            Mike Nolan
                            Keymaster

                              I made two loaves of semolina bread today, using the Hamelman recipe, though I did use butter instead of olive oil.

                              I need to make some more bread in the Pullman pan for croutons, I may make the Austrian malt/semolina one or I may use the Double Crust bread recipe that Paddy posted years ago, I just have to figure out how much dough to make. I'm guessing the full recipe (32 ounces of flour) would be too much, because that dough rises a lot.

                              in reply to: What are you Cooking the Week of November 8, 2020? #27311
                              Mike Nolan
                              Keymaster

                                The temperature here dropped about 30 degrees between 10 AM and 5PM, it's now in the mid 30's and raining, with a winter storm watch.

                                Today was leftovers (meatloaf and baked ham), and tomorrow probably will be, too.

                                in reply to: What are you Baking the Week of November 8, 2020? #27301
                                Mike Nolan
                                Keymaster

                                  A friend of mine was telling me about her cobbler recipe over the weekend, but I'm not sure if she's ready to publish it.

                                  KAF used to sell a 'deli rye' pan, is that the same as the hearth pan? How similar is it to this pan:
                                  Hearth Pan

                                Viewing 15 posts - 4,246 through 4,260 (of 8,094 total)