Mon. Sep 28th, 2026

Mike Nolan

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 4,231 through 4,245 (of 8,094 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: Dusted Flour on Rolls or Bread #27542
    Mike Nolan
    Keymaster

      There shouldn't be enough of it for it to be an issue, but it doesn't really taste raw. Sometimes if I get too much on, I'll brush some off after the loaf cools, sometimes the excess just falls off as you're slicing it.

      To be honest, I'd rather have a little loose flour on the loaf than a cornstarch slurry or Dutch crunch coat.

      in reply to: What are you Cooking the week of November 22, 2020? #27541
      Mike Nolan
      Keymaster

        I made turkey tenders, mashed potatoes, stuffing and gravy today.

        in reply to: What are you Baking the week of November 22, 2020? #27540
        Mike Nolan
        Keymaster

          My wife make crustless pumpkin pie more often than she makes a pumpkin pie. Basically it's just pumpkin custard.

          in reply to: What are you Baking the week of November 22, 2020? #27523
          Mike Nolan
          Keymaster

            The apple pie was great, Jonagolds are good pie apples, as I've read.

            in reply to: What are you Baking the week of November 22, 2020? #27519
            Mike Nolan
            Keymaster

              Rottiedogs, is your sweet potato pie in the recipe collection here? I see two recipes for it, but neither have your name on it.

              My wife is a big fan of baked sweet potatoes, but I don't think she's ever had sweet potato pie. I'm not a fan of pumpkin pie, so anything other than pumpkin pie is worth trying. (I'm not a big fan of baked sweet potatoes, either, though I do like sweet potato fries.)

              in reply to: What are you Baking the week of November 22, 2020? #27517
              Mike Nolan
              Keymaster

                I really hear you on the differences between cooking for a group and cooking for just two people.

                I can think of a lot of things I'd love to make, but we'd be eating them for a month! Even a pot roast lasts us over a week.

                And I think some recipes just work better in larger sizes. Cheesecake is definitely one of them. Texas Chocolate Sheet Cake will work in an 8x8 or 10x0 pan (half recipe), the last couple of times I've made it I've made one of each size and froze one. Even then eating the 10x10 one seems like too much cake, we sent half of the last one home with some friends who were visiting (outside).

                About the only thing I've made in quantity lately are soups, where we can freeze it in meal-sized portions. Tupperware makes an 8 1/2 cup container that is just about perfect for that. They're usually only sold as part of sets, but I managed to find about a half dozen of them for sale online, so I've got plenty of them these days.

                in reply to: What are you Cooking the week of November 22, 2020? #27511
                Mike Nolan
                Keymaster

                  Cranberry sauce is terrible, dried cranberries aren't bad as a snack or in breads.

                  in reply to: What are you Cooking the week of November 22, 2020? #27505
                  Mike Nolan
                  Keymaster

                    Thanksgiving dinner tomorrow will be ham with potatoes au gratin and apple pie. The ham has been marinating in pineapple juice since yesterday.

                    I'm going to make mashed potatoes and stuffing on Friday or Saturday, with a turkey tender just to have SOME turkey sandwiches. I was going to do a bone-in turkey breast but they seem to be sold out already. Guess a lot of people are planning smaller gatherings than normal, I'm seeing tons of whole turkeys in the freezer cases.

                    in reply to: What are you Baking the week of November 22, 2020? #27504
                    Mike Nolan
                    Keymaster

                      I got some pie dough out of the freezer yesterday, and got Jonagold apple pie filling out on Monday, as I'm planning to make an apple pie today for Thanksgiving dinner.

                      in reply to: What are you Baking the week of November 22, 2020? #27493
                      Mike Nolan
                      Keymaster

                        I made a batch of bagels today.

                        What shows are currently in production that actually feature cooking and baking these days? Not many of them on The Food Network, they're mostly staged competitions or travelogues. (I can't say I've ever learned ONE thing about cooking from Guy Fieri.)

                        in reply to: What are you Cooking the week of November 22, 2020? #27479
                        Mike Nolan
                        Keymaster

                          I won't buy brined turkeys or breasts or ones injected with turkey stock. They taste too salty, and that probably means the sodium levels are off the scale. Plus, I don't feel like paying $1.49 or so a pound for salty water.

                          in reply to: What are You Baking the Week of November 15, 2020? #27461
                          Mike Nolan
                          Keymaster

                            I'm making Semolina bread today.

                            in reply to: For Fans of The Great British Baking Show #27457
                            Mike Nolan
                            Keymaster

                              Is that a play on the 'dead cat bounce'?

                              in reply to: What are You Baking the Week of November 15, 2020? #27453
                              Mike Nolan
                              Keymaster

                                Personally, I think glass feels cooler, and it will have a larger thermal mass than a plastic bucket, which will slow down temperature rises, but for the most part heat isn't being generated when dough is rising.

                                in reply to: What are You Baking the Week of November 15, 2020? #27446
                                Mike Nolan
                                Keymaster

                                  As long as you only use it to rise dough, I would think hand-washing it would be quicker and sufficient.

                                Viewing 15 posts - 4,231 through 4,245 (of 8,094 total)