The “approachable loaf”

Home Forums Baking — Breads and Rolls The “approachable loaf”

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    aaronatthedoublef
    Participant

I like the idea behind the approachable load. But is a 2 KG loaf really approachable?

How many people have a mixer that will fit that much dough. My five quart KA will hold and mix about 1 KG if I push it. Then engine is fine if the hydration is high enough but the dough hook and bowl overflow. For mean this would be hand mixed (almost all of my bread is hand mixed now).

Also this is very high hydration which can make it a little hard to handle.

Is this really meant for home bakers?

Spread the word
      BakerAunt
      Participant

Only an advanced baker ought to try this loaf. Maybe they think it is approachable since it is broken down into steps with some long and some shorter times separating them, but that means whoever bakes it must have two or three days clearly organized in order to do what is needed at the required times.

Mike Nolan
        Keymaster

The Bread Lab folks at Washington State are IMHO focused more on commercial bakers than home bakers. They've got some very talented people, but this is NOT a recipe I would recommend to inexperienced bakers.

A step called 'full development' with no further detail might confuse even some experienced bakers.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.