Sun. Sep 27th, 2026

chocomouse

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 1,321 through 1,335 (of 2,758 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: What are you Cooking the Week of September 5, 2021? #31337
    chocomouse
    Participant

      Dinner tonight was ham steaks, cole slaw, summer squash, and brown and wild rice from a prepared packet. We used to eat that quite often, but haven't had it for several years. I rarely used pre-packaged or prepared foods at all these days - too many ingredients that I cannot pronounce. It was delicious, a nice change, and I think we'll have it or something similar more often.

      in reply to: What are you Baking the Week of September 5, 2021? #31335
      chocomouse
      Participant

        I made bagels today. HAHAHA I used 2 cups of KAF AP flour and 2 cups of their High Gluten flour, which I bought special to try in bagels just for the fun of it. The dough rose fine, easy to handle. I pre-shaped it into balls, poked a hole in the center of each, easier than usual, the dough was very tensile, not stiff and hard to stretch, let them rest for about 20 minutes. Picked one up to put in the boiling water bath, and it just sort of collapsed in my hand. Soft, limp, floppy. Every one of them! Boiling water bath for 2 minutes didn't change a thing. Baking for 20 minutes browned them nicely, but still kind of soft, not the typical bagel. They are very wrinkled, and show the marks of the tong I use to flip them. I haven't tasted one yet. Maybe they'll taste great - but they sure are not bagels!! I'm going to call the KAF chat line on Monday to get some thoughts about this experience.

        in reply to: What are you Cooking the Week of September 5, 2021? #31321
        chocomouse
        Participant

          Kimbob, we haven't had that for ages, although I can almost taste it now. But it will have to wait. I have a tomato tart in the oven - tomatoes, mushrooms, onions, garlic, basil, mozzarella, and parmesan.

          in reply to: It never rains but it pours #31304
          chocomouse
          Participant

            Here, too. My husband is putting in a new garbage disposal as I type. I discovered the cabinet under the sink flooded! I do have to admit that it has worked fine since 1985 when we built the house; I guess 36 years is a long time to expect any appliance to work.

            in reply to: What are you Cooking the Week of September 5, 2021? #31289
            chocomouse
            Participant

              I made a big pot of tomato soup (the Watts Tea Room recipe posted by jej on the obc) and corn bread. The rest of the soup will go into the freezer for chilly fall evenings.

              in reply to: What are you Cooking the Week of September 5, 2021? #31281
              chocomouse
              Participant

                I have a lasagna in the oven, made with fresh tomato sauce. And a salad with lettuce and veggies from the garden. I'll look in the freezer for rolls.

                in reply to: What are You Cooking the Week of August 29, 2021? #31269
                chocomouse
                Participant

                  We enjoyed a perfect summer evening grilling on the deck. We had "sweet and spicy" sausages with roasted red peppers and onions, with horseradish mustard on THE Burger Buns.

                  in reply to: 2021 Garden plans #31266
                  chocomouse
                  Participant

                    A great year for peppers, thanks to the extreme heat. I'm picking a basket a day to freeze - in slices, chopped, chunks, and halves. Most crops have been a disaster, even with weekly soakings of at least an inch. Beans, lettuce, cabbage, and yellow summer squash have been productive.

                    Attachments:
                    You must be logged in to view attached files.
                    in reply to: What are You Baking the Week of August 29,2021? #31265
                    chocomouse
                    Participant

                      Some birthdays are worth two cakes!! Enjoy, and Happy Birthday.

                      in reply to: What are You Baking the Week of August 29,2021? #31260
                      chocomouse
                      Participant

                        I have hot dog buns rising, sausage with peppers and onions on the menu for next week.

                        in reply to: Saw a hummingbird today! #31251
                        chocomouse
                        Participant

                          Hummingbirds in this area, Vermont, start their southern migration in early August. By mid-month, there are only a few stragglers left; I've seen only 2-3 in the last couple of weeks. I didn't see as many birds this year, and no large group wars at the feeders prior to their departure.

                          in reply to: What are You Cooking the Week of August 29, 2021? #31227
                          chocomouse
                          Participant

                            For dinner, we had grilled chicken thighs, roasted potatoes, yellow summer squash, and sliced tomatoes.

                            in reply to: What are You Baking the Week of August 29,2021? #31205
                            chocomouse
                            Participant

                              Yes, BakerAunt, those my Lodge cast iron, 8.4" x 4.5"; I use them for all my yeast breads, only once in a while using the long oval covered baker.

                              I have a peach coffee cake in the oven now. I sort of used a recipe I found online after much searching. I used 4 large, juicy peaches, and Greek yogurt, and added cinnamon and ginger to the batter. I put down a layer of batter (with chopped peaches folded in) and then a layer of cinnamon streusel, and a top layer of batter. It smells divine, and luckily, unlike yeast breads, I don't have to wait until it has cooled to cut a generous taste test!

                              in reply to: What are You Baking the Week of August 29,2021? #31195
                              chocomouse
                              Participant

                                Today I baked 2 loaves of bread - a pumpernickel and a garlic-herb sandwich loaf. We have not cut into either one yet, but they rose beautifully and smell great.

                                You need to click on the photo to enlarge it and see the entire picture.

                                • This reply was modified 5 years, 1 month ago by chocomouse.
                                • This reply was modified 5 years, 1 month ago by chocomouse.
                                Attachments:
                                You must be logged in to view attached files.
                                in reply to: What are you Baking the Week of August 22, 2021? #31171
                                chocomouse
                                Participant

                                  I baked Japanese Milk Bread (KAF). The first rise was just barely double after an hour, but the 2nd rise was better and there was tremendous oven spring. I doubled the recipe, but screwed up because I forgot to double the Tangzhong. However, the bread turned out fine.

                                Viewing 15 posts - 1,321 through 1,335 (of 2,758 total)