It never rains but it pours

Home Forums General Discussions It never rains but it pours

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 36 total)
  • Author
    Italiancook
    Participant

chocomouse, after we had an under-sink kitchen pipe leak, my husband bought a plastic storage container. The bottom completely covers the floor under the sink and garbage disposal. The plastic bottom holds all our cleaning supplies and is high enough that if something leaks, we'll probably catch the leak before the plastic bottom overflows. I've tried to convince him to buy something for under our bathroom sinks, but he wants to rest on his laurels of having had a great idea in the kitchen.

Mike Nolan
      Keymaster

We had a sink overflow (operator error) and the floor of the cabinet under it has delaminated. Not sure there's an easy way to fix that other than replacing the entire cabinet.

BakerAunt
        Participant

Joan--elements burn out after a while. I am glad that you got your cheesecake baked before it decided to go out in a blaze of glory. With a previous oven, I had turned it on to preheat, and I saw it flare up in a small fire and then go out. The appliance repair guy was impressed: he said that people almost never see them flame out.

In early July, we discovered that the faucet at the washing machine hook-up was leaking. My husband tightened it, and it leaked some more. He then turned the water off at the house, and got a cap for the line. A magnifying lens showed a hairline crack in the the screw part. Of course the local hardware store did not have it, so we had to wait to pick it up when we went on our regular shopping jaunt to the next town, which has a Lowe's. That part was also two years old.

cwcdesign
          Participant

Today my car battery died in the parking lot at work. Security came and jumped it with this cool gadget they have - it’s a box with the jumpers and has all the power you need without connecting to another car. I went home, picked up Will. He took me back to work and went to the car dealer. My car turned 3 in April so both the free towing and the battery warranty had run out.

Joan Simpson
            Participant

Len I want to thank you for the info on partselect.I got part ordered today and it should be here a a couple of days $96.26 and pray it all works.I miss my oven.I'm soon going to replace my cook top but for now it's Ok.

Mike Nolan
              Keymaster

Well, the Bosch dishwasher we're looking at is unavailable, probably until December at the earliest. (Nebraska Furniture Mart may have a more honest estimate, they say March of 2022.)

So we're reconsidering the $650 repair option, and we're re-thinking repairing the SubZeros as well.

RiversideLen
                Participant

Joan, I'm glad you were able to find it. Truth be told, I was afraid your oven was too old and they wouldn't have parts for it anymore but it's always worth looking. Even though it should be an easy install, I suggest you go to youtube and look up some videos that may help you with it.

RiversideLen
                  Participant

Mike, for the dishwasher, have you tried Abt? They're not local to you but they will ship many items. You'd have to arrange for the install.

*********************************************************************

edit, Never mind, it looks like the Bosch's are only available for their local delivery area (150 miles from the store).

• This reply was modified 2 years, 7 months ago by RiversideLen.
                    Mike Nolan
                    Keymaster

My guess is the higher end Bosch models are backordered at the factory due to parts issues, or stuck on a carrier ship. The WSJ says supply channel delays are likely to be a problem well into 2022 if not 2023.

BakerAunt
                      Participant

After dinner this evening, my husband and his daughter were on the lake in the canoe and ended up tipping over. Of course it was when she had her Iphone out for a picture. She retrieved it quickly, and it was not in the water long, but water and electronics never mix well. It is currently sitting under a pile of brown rice--although online sources are divided on whether that is the way to handle it.

Joan Simpson
                        Participant

Thanks Len,I did find a video on youtube and it looks very easy.

Oh no BakerAunt I'm glad your husband and his daughter are ok and hope the phone will be as well.

Mike Nolan
                          Keymaster

We went ahead and ordered the new pump for the dishwasher and have a tech scheduled to look at the refrigerator and freezer on Tuesday. Hopefully both will be something easy to replace. (I fully expect the freezer to be the defrost timer, I'm hoping the refrigerator just needs a new thermostat.)

My goal is to get another few years out of these appliances and basically kick the can down the road on their replacement, by which time maybe the supply channels won't be so messed up.

A couple of weeks ago my relatively new iPhone 12 had a message about there being water in the firewire port, though it hadn't gotten wet or anything, not sure why it gave me that message.

chocomouse
                            Participant

My garbage disposal is replaced! Now I can use my dishwasher again - good thing, as I was running out of clean plates and silverware. Also, this week the replacement part for our heat pump arrived and was installed so now we have AC and heat, although the temp last night was 46* so we didn't need either. Please don't tell me things happen in threes!

Mike Nolan
                              Keymaster

The garbage disposal on the cleanup sink also needs replacing; the model we want (Insinkerator 1 HP) wasn't in stock yesterday, but should be available at Lowes next week. I'll ask the people repairing the dishwasher if they install garbage disposals, I'm not going to try to do it myself.

After my wife's fall while I was out of town, we're looking at putting a digital lock on one door so that someone can get in without a key in an emergency. I'll probably install that myself. (We had the lock on the door to the garage from inside the house fail last week, I was able to install the replacement parts once I got the stripped screw out, but spending an hour under a kitchen cabinet isn't something I want to do anymore, I installed a garbage disposal once, it took me half a day.)

chocomouse
                                Participant

Ours is an Insinkerator, and it has worked perfectly for 36 years - I highly recommend that brand. My husband had some trouble putting it in; with 2 replaced knees, one of which still does not work right, he could not get into the needed position under the cabinet and have the strength to do it. So, my son came and had it in within less than 10 minutes.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 36 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.