2021 Garden plans

Home Forums Gardening 2021 Garden plans

Viewing 15 posts - 136 through 150 (of 168 total)
  • Author
    Joan Simpson
    Participant

Beautiful Len,I love them also!

RiversideLen
      Participant

Some years ago I grew a tall variety that had smaller but colorful heads. I planted them outside my kitchen window so they were eye level from the kitchen. One of my neighbors had a finch feeder so the finches would come over, land on the heads and do acrobatics while getting at the seeds. I decided to stop planting them so close to the house when, one evening, I saw a mouse on one of them. I have these further away from the house.

Mike Nolan
        Keymaster

Mice will crawl right up the stem of plants, no matter where they are relative to the house.

RiversideLen
          Participant

What I meant was this way I'm not attracting them close to the house.

Mike Nolan
            Keymaster

Some kind of bug damage on this maple? (We have someone trimming the trees, he didn't recognize it, but we have an arborist coming out later today, she should know what it is, probably some kind of gull from bugs.)

maple

Attachments:
              You must be logged in to view attached files.
              Mike Nolan
              Keymaster

Maggie says they're leaf gulls, not a major problem, but there sure are a lot of them on that one tree!

Janiebakes
                Participant

I was tidying up a patio pot that we had planted pototoes in with my granddaughter. Two of the stalks were dead and I pulled them out. Didn't see any potatoes but I also did not dig down into the dirt. The stems were very wet. We have been having heavy rainfall most of the summer. In August, the creeks and waterfalls are roaring. It has also been very very hot at times. I think we are not going to get a crop this year.

BakerAunt
                  Participant

We have happily bought wonderful potatoes from an organic vendor at our farmer's market, but I noticed he did not have them this year. I asked, and he said that they were hit by potato bugs, so no crop this year.
                    🙁

Janiebakes
                    Participant

Bugs and blight have not been a problem this year. Just no potatoes formed. I am disappointed. It would have been fun to let her dig them up.

chocomouse
                      Participant

A great year for peppers, thanks to the extreme heat. I'm picking a basket a day to freeze - in slices, chopped, chunks, and halves. Most crops have been a disaster, even with weekly soakings of at least an inch. Beans, lettuce, cabbage, and yellow summer squash have been productive.

Attachments:
                        You must be logged in to view attached files.
                        Joan Simpson
                        Participant

Beautiful peppers Chocomouse.

Mike Nolan
                          Keymaster

I ordered more Black Seeded Simpson and Rouge D'Hiver lettuce pods from Aerogarden, my plan is to start them around the first of October, so that they're producing lots of lettuce by late November. (I'm kind of hoping we do family Christmas in Lincoln this year, as I don't think my wife's shoulder is going to be up for either flying anywhere or for 2 days in the car to drive to Pittsburgh.)

Mike Nolan
                            Keymaster

It looks like the u-pick orchard we go to will have winesap apples starting around the 1st of October, hopefully this year I'll be able to pick some. The last few years have had assorted complications that kept me from going out to pick apples.

BakerAunt
                              Participant

We are suddenly getting a lot of tomatoes. The green beans are still producing. My husband has picked three of the small honeynut squashes (small butternut squashes). We still have a spaghetti squash-pumpkin hybrid on the vine (one we picked when the vine died). Also, a couple of more have started but are unlikely to achieve ripeness before a freeze.

My husband picked some of his carrots. They are very short.

Some bell peppers have turned orange--maybe red is next? We still have a lot of green ones.

Mike Nolan
                                Keymaster

I'm starting to think about my 2022 garden a bit. I think I'll skip the Brandywine and Mortgage Lifter tomatoes next year, and do more Amish Paste and Italian Heirloom, those were the majority of what I processed last night. I'll keep the Rutgers, 4th of July and First Lady II, maybe add Celebrity, a variety I've had good result with.

Several years ago, one of the test gardens at UNL was planted with Defiant tomatoes, which is a determinate that produces an 8 ounce fruit. Those were pretty good, I may add that to the mix next year.

My 4th of July plants went crazy this year, at least twice I've picked a large bowl of them. The First Lady II plants did well, too, but I think they didn't get enough water during the hot months. Next year I should set up some soaker hoses to water the tomato garden when the hot dry spell hits (which it always does.) I meant to do it this year but was having some ankle problems and just never got it done.

Viewing 15 posts - 136 through 150 (of 168 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.