What are you Baking the Week of September 5, 2021?

Home Forums Baking — Breads and Rolls What are you Baking the Week of September 5, 2021?

Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    BakerAunt
    Participant

I thought that the bread flour was Sir Lancelot and the high-gluten flour was yet another step up.

I bought a three-pack of high-gluten flour for a recipe I have never baked. I have been using it up, a cup here or there, in bread recipes where I am using a lot of whole grains.

Mike Nolan
      Keymaster

My former neighbor who runs the local Sysco office would say that the only things high gluten flour are good for are pizza and bagels.

chocomouse
        Participant

Rottiedog, your Sir Lancelot recipe, titled "Bagels" is the same as the "Bagels" recipe posted on KAF which is my go-to bagel recipe!! Yours calls for Sir Lancelot flour and 1 1/2 cups of water and the posted recipe calls for bread flour and 1 1/3 cups of water. I often substitute 1 cup of whole wheat for one cup of the bread flour. This time I used 2 cups of bread flour and 2 cups of high gluten. I still used the 1 1/3 cups of water, so I assumed the difference in dough structure was the high gluten flour did not absorb as much of the water (and it was not a humid day, but rather dry).

Mike, if you go to the main store in Norwich, you can get 50 pound bags of Sir Lancelot, at least you could about a year ago. I've bought it for many years. If you ask one of the roving employees working the floor, they can get you most anything from the back room - and load it into your car!

BakerAunt
          Participant

I envy your proximity to the King Arthur store, Chocomouse!

On Saturday, I baked the whole grain cracker recipe that I adapted from the King Arthur Whole Grain Baking Book. I also baked a batch of Skeptic’s Pumpkin Biscotti. I was inspired to do so because I went to the farmer’s market this morning and bought a large “peanut” pumpkin and two pie pumpkins. It is now time to start using up any pumpkin in the freezer from last year. Autumn will be coming, but that is hard to believe on a day when the high temperature was 86F.

Mike Nolan
            Keymaster

Kind of a long drive for most of us, 1456 miles in my case.

Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.