What are You Cooking the Week of August 29, 2021?

Home Forums Cooking — (other than baking) What are You Cooking the Week of August 29, 2021?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 31 total)
  • Author
    BakerAunt
    Participant

I made yogurt on Sunday.

Spread the word
      Mike Nolan
      Keymaster

It's cooler today, high is supposed to be 80, so I'm getting ready to process tomatoes.

Janiebakes
        Participant

I am finding lots of things to do with garden produce. We have cukes, parsley, basil, cabbage, beets and squash. I have made cucumber feta salad that also uses lots of parsley, A farro salad that uses parsley, basil, cherry tomatoes, arugula, mint, pistachio nuts, and a really odd dish using roasted beets and cabbage with garbonzo beans, pistachio nuts, and sunflower butter. That was at DH's request and I think he gets to eat it all. The recipe resulted in undercooked beets and over cooked cabbage. We also had a large bunch of beet greens and I found a really nice recipe for them. Caramelized onions, toasted walnuts and slowly sauteed beet greens. Also learned that the beet stems are edible as well. Also made a batch of yogurt. Whew!

Joan Simpson
          Participant

I boiled a half chicken and some backs I had frozen for chicken stock put all the meat in the dressing used leftover corn bread and made chicken-n-dressing,with that we had green butter beans and leftover macaroni salad and beets and canned cranberry sauce.Enough leftovers for another meal later in the week.

Mike Nolan
            Keymaster

I wound up with 7 quarts of tomato juice that are in the boiling water now, plus another 2 cups that we'll have tonight. I also wound up with 2 large bags of seeds, tomato peel and a few par-boiled tomatoes that are already in the freezer and will be used for batches of beef stock later this year or next.

The first sample of the juice was excellent. I'd forgotten how good home made tomato juice tastes.

2 of 7 quarts don't appear to have sealed, I must be out of practice with canning procedures.

navlys
              Participant

I made grilled soy-basted chicken thighs (boneless,skinless) with spicy cashews. I baked it according to "Nan's best" grilled chicken with cashewsv recipe. It was originally a nyt recipe. It was very good.

Mike Nolan
                Keymaster

There was a third quart that I wasn't sure if it was sealed or not, so we've started drinking one quart and I'm going to see if I can reprocess the other two this evening as I don't think we can drink 3 quarts in a few days. Sometimes reprocessing works, sometimes it doesn't. For at least one jar, I don't think the ring was on quite tight enough.

Joan Simpson
                  Participant

I know how that feels to not have a good seal after all the work of canning,hope it seals up tonight Mike.

Tonight we had left over roast and gravy from the freezer and with that we had mashed sour cream potatoes and fried okra.

BakerAunt
                    Participant

Good luck with re-processing those jars, Mike.

For Monday’s dinner, I breaded and roasted chicken breasts. We also had sweet corn and the last of the Michiana bean salad on mixed greens from the organic vendor at our farmer’s market.

Mike Nolan
                      Keymaster

Turned out only one needed reprocessing, the other sounded like it was sealed yesterday evening and it felt sealed, too. I did reprocess the other jar, and it sealed up fine.

I may need to do another batch this coming weekend, probably no more than 3-4 jars this time.

BakerAunt
                        Participant

Dinner on Tuesday was a grain combo using the leftover pork and the deglazed liquid, freekeh, carrots, celery, red bell pepper, purple bell pepper, green onions, garlic, mushrooms, a small zucchini, a small yellow squash, and parsley. We have enough for another meal.

Mike Nolan
                          Keymaster

We had tomatoes and salami for supper tonight, I could have picked a very large bowl of them, and will probably have to do so soon, so more tomato processing is coming, maybe Thursday, for sure by Saturday. The Amish Paste tomatoes tend to come in all at once, and they make very good sauce or juice.

chocomouse
                            Participant

For dinner, we had grilled chicken thighs, roasted potatoes, yellow summer squash, and sliced tomatoes.

Janiebakes
                              Participant

We had grilled corn on the cob leftover from the weekend, sauteed beet greens and fish.

Joan Simpson
                                Participant

Last night we had fried pork chops,steamed cabbage and macaroni and cheese.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 31 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.