What are you Baking the Week of September 5, 2021?

Home Forums Baking — Breads and Rolls What are you Baking the Week of September 5, 2021?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    Mike Nolan
    Keymaster

No plans yet here.

Spread the word
      Joan Simpson
      Participant

I baked a cheesecake today with a recipe I found online and it's excellent to me and no water bath either. It was called "The Best Cheesecake Recipe" from Sugar Spun Run.It was easy and very good only problem I had was the butter leaked out a little on my baking sheet and I let it cook a tad too long as it got a little brown but that was ok by me. https://sugarspunrun.com/best-cheesecake-recipe/

kimbob
        Participant

Made a cinnamon chip loaf which was posted on the old bc by Lews. Mods I made was using oil instead of butter and subbing 1 cup of www for reg flour. I found cinn chips at nuts.com when kaf no longer had them. I make this quite often. Great for breakfast with a cup of coffee.

kimbob
          Participant

Sounds like delish cheesecake, Joan! How did it taste? Very similar to the one I make except I use 3 eggs and 2 cups of sour cream. I make mine in a 10 inch springform. A trick I learned from someone on the bc is to line the inside of the springform sides with strips of parchment. When you take off the rim, all you have to do is peel off the parchment. A lot cleaner!

• This reply was modified 2 years, 7 months ago by kimbob.
            • This reply was modified 2 years, 7 months ago by kimbob.
            Joan Simpson
            Participant

Kimbob the taste was very good creamy texture,no cracks in the top,when I took it out of the oven it was at the top of my 9 inch springform,but as it cooled it fell to exactly as the photo shows almost 2 inches.I did put parchment on the bottom so I could transfer to pie taker,I didn't use parchment on the sides had to run straight side spreader around edge so I will do that next time and I am very pleased with the cheesecake.I do think next time I will cut some butter back on the crust.

Italiancook
              Participant

I baked a new (to me) KABC recipe today. The Easiest Bread You'll Ever Bake. I had planned to bake it yesterday, but didn't have the gumption. At 5 P.M., I made the dough, put it in the dough bucket and put it in the fridge for overnight. I wasn't sure that'd work, having never refrigerated bread dough, so I called KA to find out if I could do this safely. Being out of bread, I wanted to make sure I ended up with baked and functional bread. I was told to not refrigerate it more than 18 hours. So at 15-1/2 hours, I removed the bread and let it come to room temp for 2 hours before starting the bread. Really, this would have been a simple recipe if I had shaped the loaves the way I've done it all my adult life. But I decided to follow KA's directions to become more professional. Mistake! The top of the finished loaves look gnarly, instead of smooth. My shaping errors, not the recipe. Nevertheless, the tuna salad sandwiches we had on the bread were scrumptious. I wouldn't call this the easiest bread I've ever made, but I will make it again soon just to see if I can improve my shaping by KA's technique. I put one loaf in the freezer and we ate most of one.

• This reply was modified 2 years, 7 months ago by Italiancook.
                Mike Nolan
                Keymaster

Peter Reinhart has a baguette recipe in ABED where you refrigerate the dough, take out as much as you want to bake the next day, and keep doing that for up to 4 days. (I actually let it run for 6 or 7 days, in my opinion after 3 days it started to behave and taste a bit like a sourdough.)

But that's a lean dough, meaning no fats, oils, eggs, sugar, dairy, etc. A dough with egg in it probably shouldn't be kept for more than a day. (I forgot half of a batch of laminated dough made with egg once, by day 3 it had developed an undesirable odor.)

BakerAunt
                  Participant

Any bread that tastes good is good bread, Italian Cook, no matter what it looks like!

I did a lot of baking on Wednesday. I used a banana cake recipe and baked it in my 4-loaf Nordic Ware baker. They came out very well, and I froze two. I baked a double batch of the oatmeal cookies without butter from Jenny Can Cook. I baked Oat Bran Banana muffins as 6 large muffins and froze three. After dinner, I baked 16 of Ellen’s Buns as Rolls. The cookies and rolls are for a picnic tomorrow.

BakerAunt
                    Participant

On Friday, I baked my variation on Blueberry Cobbler from a King Arthur cookbook. I reduce sugar, substitute 1 1/2 Tbs. avocado oil for butter, use buttermilk, and use half barley flour.

We were running out of bread, so I baked three loaves of my variation on Grandma A’s Ranch Hand Bread. I will freeze two loaves.

chocomouse
                      Participant

I made bagels today. HAHAHA I used 2 cups of KAF AP flour and 2 cups of their High Gluten flour, which I bought special to try in bagels just for the fun of it. The dough rose fine, easy to handle. I pre-shaped it into balls, poked a hole in the center of each, easier than usual, the dough was very tensile, not stiff and hard to stretch, let them rest for about 20 minutes. Picked one up to put in the boiling water bath, and it just sort of collapsed in my hand. Soft, limp, floppy. Every one of them! Boiling water bath for 2 minutes didn't change a thing. Baking for 20 minutes browned them nicely, but still kind of soft, not the typical bagel. They are very wrinkled, and show the marks of the tong I use to flip them. I haven't tasted one yet. Maybe they'll taste great - but they sure are not bagels!! I'm going to call the KAF chat line on Monday to get some thoughts about this experience.

Mike Nolan
                        Keymaster

Could have been a hydration issue, bagels are a low hydration dough, sometimes as low as 50%. Peter Reinhart describes the dough as looking satiny and not tacky at all.

I start the water boiling before I divide and shape them, I find by the time I'm done shaping them, the water is boiling and the bagels are ready to go in the pot, sometimes they pass the float test right after shaping.

chocomouse
                          Participant

I agree with you Mike, that hydration is the issue. I had added more flour, but I guess not enough. I ate a bagel this morning - the flavor was good, texture good, it was crisp on the outside, and very chewy. The only real problem was the looks (wrinkly and lumpy) and the "floppiness" of the whole thing. It's odd that KAF advertises using the High Gluten flour in bagels -- but doesn't seem to have a bagel recipe that says to use it, or that lists it as an option. And I cannot find anything on the website about how to substitute high gluten for bread flour or AP. I don't find much at all about the high gluten, except what's on the product page. I'll call them Monday.

rottiedogs
                            Participant

Here is something I found in my recipe folder on the high gluten flour which was previously called Sir Lancelot. I'm not sure if it came with the flour or if I got it off the KAF website. It does have a bagel recipe and I have made it a few times. Something to try later after I finish cooking the sourdough english muffins I've got waiting for me.

edit - the baby bagels recipe on the KAF site calls for hi gluten flour too. The copy in my file actually says Sir Lancelot hi gluten flour. The recipe otherwise appears to be the same.

• This reply was modified 2 years, 7 months ago by rottiedogs.
                              • This reply was modified 2 years, 7 months ago by rottiedogs.
                              Attachments:
                              You must be logged in to view attached files.
                              chocomouse
                              Participant

I take back what I wrote in my previous post about not finding anything on the KAF site about the High Gluten flour!! There is quite a bit, and specifically in several recipes for bagels. I'm not sure why I didn't find these when I did a search for high gluten. Anyway, I'll be reading those blogs and recipes and the comments for insight.

Thanks Rottiedog! I used to buy the Sir Lancelot in 50 pound bags - didn't realize it was high gluten! I'll check out that recipe.

Mike Nolan
                                Keymaster

I think they still sell it as Sir Lancelot in 50 pound bags through their commercial division, but not to retail customers, but I thought it was the same flour as their blue bag bread flour for retail.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.