Wheat Montana

Home Forums General Discussions Wheat Montana

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Mike Nolan
    Keymaster

I've bought Wheat Montana wheat berries for years, though I'm having trouble getting them lately.

So, as we came through Montana on the way back from our trip to Oregon, when we found a Wheat Montana Bakery at Three Forks MT, we HAD to stop! (We saw at least one other Wheat Montana bakery on I-90, but the one at Three Forks appears to be the mother ship.)

They had the biggest cinnamon rolls I've ever seen! We got one, it fed three people!

I bought the Wheat Montana cookbook, and I also got five pound bags of wheat berries (hard spring red wheat, hard winter red wheat and winter white wheat) to play with. The price was on the high side, but this way I can compare the three and see which I want to buy in bulk next time. The car was already quite full, otherwise I might have bought a 50 pound bag of wheat berries.

There was a group of Wheat Montana people getting ready for a tour of the mill operation (the bakery is located at one of the Wheat Montana mills), but I couldn't convince them to let me tag along on the tour.

Spread the word
      BakerAunt
      Participant

The best addition to a road trip is finding those special items along the way! I look forward to hearing about what you are baking with your wheat berries.

aaronatthedoublef
        Participant

How do you store a 50 lb bag of flour? If I were going to portion it out and freeze it I would need to buy a new freezer.

BakerAunt
          Participant

My collection of flours is one reason that we will have two large refrigerator/freezers.

Mike Nolan
            Keymaster

I've had 50 pound bags of flour in the past, I just kept them in the basement, well sealed. I lost one to a periodic infestation of indian meal moths, but it was one I wasn't using quickly anyway.

Wheat berries keep much longer than flour does, and are less prone to bug problems. (The bigger problem for wheat mills is rodents.) I've had a bucket of spring soft wheat for several years, it's just fine.

The Wheat Montana cookbook doesn't appear to specifically have the recipe for the super-sized cinnamon rolls, I was curious as to how much dough each one takes.

aaronatthedoublef
              Participant

I would love a second refrigerator/freezer in the basement I might just do that.

Now I stock up on much smaller bags of flour and keep them in their bags in a sealed bin.

Maybe I'll try a 50 lb bag one day.

Thanks!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.