Baked Pumpkin Spice Doughnuts with Maple Glaze

Home Forums Recipes Baked Pumpkin Spice Doughnuts with Maple Glaze

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    BakerAunt
    Participant

Baked Pumpkin Spice Doughnuts with Maple Glaze

Marliss Desens adapted this recipe (with the spelling Donuts) from one that GIR (manufacturer of kitchen utensils) sent in an email. It is the BEST I have found.

1 cup AP flour Maple Glaze
      1 cup whole wheat flour 2 Tbs. maple syrup
      2 Tbs. milk powder (optional) 1 Tbs. milk
      1 Tbs. flax meal (optional) ¼ tsp. salt
      1 tsp. baking powder 1 ½ cups powdered sugar (sift after measuring)
      ¼ tsp. baking soda
      1 tsp. cinnamon Or
      ½ tsp. nutmeg (I grate fresh Brown Butter Cinnamon Sugar Coating
      ¼ tsp. ginger ½ cup sugar
      ¼ tsp. cloves 1 tsp. cinnamon
      ½ tsp. salt 1 stick unsalted butter

¾ cup sugar
      ¼ cup light brown sugar, packed
      ½ cup canola oil
      2 large eggs, room temperature
      1 cup pumpkin puree

Preheat oven to 350 F. Grease two standard doughnut pans (total of 12 doughnuts).

Whisk together the first eleven ingredients in a small bowl. In a large bowl, mix the granulated and the light brown sugar with the canola oil and beat with hand mixer. Beat in eggs, then the pumpkin puree. Put away the hand mixer and stir the dry ingredients into the wet ones, until just combined. Do not overmix or doughnuts will be tough.

The easiest way to distribute the batter into the doughnut pans is to use a small silicone spoonula to place three blobs of thick batter around each ring. Once the batter has been divided into the pans, smooth the batter into round rings. If you wish, use a piping bag, but I think the spoonula makes less mess.

Bake for 12-15 minutes, until a tester inserted in a doughnut comes out clean. Remove from oven, let cool briefly, then use a plastic spatula to gently dislodge and move to racks.

While doughnuts cool, make one of the two toppings. For the maple glaze, combine sifted powdered sugar with syrup, milk, and salt in a shallow bowl. When doughnuts are cool enough to handle, dip tops in the glaze, then return to wire rack over a pan or waxed paper to catch the drips. For the browned butter-cinnamon topping, melt butter in sauce pan over medium heat. Stir constantly and swirl to prevent burning as it foams and sizzles. When it turns golden with brownish specks, it should have a rich and nutty aroma. Remove from stove, and carefully pour into a shallow heat-proof bowl. Set aside to cool. In another shallow bowl, combine sugar and cinnamon. Either dip the doughnuts into the browned butter, then into the cinnamon sugar, or brush the doughnuts with the browned butter and then dip into cinnamon sugar.

What I changed: I used half whole wheat flour. I reduced the granulated sugar to ¾ cup. I added milk powder and flax meal to enhance nutrition. I use homemade pumpkin puree rather than canned. I deleted 1 tsp. vanilla in the batter because it is not needed; save this expensive ingredient for when it can shine. I have not tried the browed butter topping.

Spread the word
    Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.