What are you Cooking the week of March 17, 2019?

Home Forums Cooking โ€” (other than baking) What are you Cooking the week of March 17, 2019?

Viewing 4 posts - 31 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • Author
    Mike Nolan
    Keymaster

I just wonder if ramping up the production is going to have to change your marketing methods. It's one thing to sell a small amount of syrup, it might be something else to sell enough to make enough to live on.

I spent several years advising small businesses when I was in grad school, ramping up production and sales were major issues for a number of businesses that I worked with. With one, the challenge was convincing the owner to go from owner/salesman to owner/manager and actually hire a sales staff.

chocomouse
      Participant

I understand what you are saying, Mike. But this is not intended to be a business to make a living from. It is to give my retired husband something to do, to keep him out of trouble!! I know the IRS is going to want us to show a profit eventually. Around here, most of the maple business is small farmers, and they are just needing to make enough to pay for the seed they need to start their crops in the late spring. Of course, the big conglomerates have been moving in, but stubborn old-timers don't like to sell out, they prefer to pass the business on their children.

Mike Nolan
        Keymaster

Some people start maple syrup businesses after they retire, others start food blogs. ๐Ÿ™‚

chocomouse
          Participant

You got it!

Viewing 4 posts - 31 through 34 (of 34 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.