What are you Cooking the Week of July 9, 2023?

Home Forums Cooking — (other than baking) What are you Cooking the Week of July 9, 2023?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 32 total)
  • Author
    Mike Nolan
    Keymaster

No dinner plans yet, maybe just sandwiches.

Spread the word
      Joan Simpson
      Participant

Leftover pizza here.

chocomouse
        Participant

Seafood salad and a green salad; and then a delicious lemon cookie!

Mike Nolan
          Keymaster

tomato and salami sandwiches here, with a little cantaloupe and some blueberry zucchini bread (see baking thread.)

BakerAunt
            Participant

I had a busy day in the kitchen. For dinner, I made potato salad and my Turkey-Zucchini Loaf with Peach-Dijon Glaze. We have leftovers for the next two days of dinners.

I also made yogurt.

Mike Nolan
              Keymaster

We had sandwiches tonight.

Getting more rain this evening, our yard looked bad before all this rain, too many weeds and not enough grass; we were hoping to reseed this spring with microclover and buffalo grass seed but decided to wait until September due to the drought-imposed voluntary watering restrictions. If I'd have know we'd have two weeks of monsoon season, I might have gone ahead.

And with all the rain, it hasn't been cut in two weeks and looks just awful. I'm going to start cutting it even shorter in the hopes of killing stuff off.

Joan Simpson
                Participant

Tomato soup with a grilled cheese sandwich.

We're getting a lot of rain too Mike ,grass is growing but weeds are awful.

Mike Nolan
                  Keymaster

The guy who cuts our grass is supposed to be here today to do the lawn, he works the overnight shift at the railroad shop working on diesels, lawns is a side job. Not sure if the yard is dry enough to do it with a riding mower, but he's got a big non-riding one, too.

RiversideLen
                    Participant

I made stuffed peppers last night. One pound of ground beef, 1/4 cup of bread crumbs hydrated with beef broth, some dehydrated onions, dried parsley, an egg, 2 medium shredded carrots, a good shake of Worchester sauce and A-1 sauce, a pinch of garlic powder and 3 large pepper halves.

Peppers

peppers‑2

Attachments:
                      You must be logged in to view attached files.
                      Mike Nolan
                      Keymaster

My wife has been having problems with green peppers and lately with red ones as well, so stuffed peppers are pretty much off the menu here, unless I want to eat them all.

So far I've still been able to make piperade (peppers, onions and tomatoes) as long as it's not the main ingredient in something. I haven't tried the piperade pizza yet.

And I can still put a small amount of red pepper in Thousand Island dressing.

Joan Simpson
                        Participant

I had turkey and tomato sandwich with an ear of corn.

Len,your peppers looks good to me!

BakerAunt
                          Participant

I had not planned to cook on Tuesday night, but we found a marked down package of three bone-in chicken breasts for 99 cents a pound at the grocery this morning and could not pass it up. I looked up a recipe on Serious Eats for how to roast a chicken breast and used it. My modification was to use avocado oil in place of butter. For the spice, I used Penzey's Justice blend and seasoned liberally under the skin. I second guessed the temperature of 450 and should not have done so, as I had to increase the cooking time. One breast was larger than the rest, so we took out the two that were done, and my husband sliced them, and let the third one go another ten minutes. I had forgotten how wonderful bone-in chicken breasts can be. I had my husband save the bones, and I will use them to make broth.

To go with the chicken, I made another one of my farro stir-fries with carrots, celery, red bell pepper, sliced mushrooms, and kale from our garden. I seasoned it with thyme, sage, and dried chives. I cooked the farro in turkey/chicken broth from the freezer and put in the rest of that bag of frozen peas that were clearly old and cannot be eaten on their own. However, mixed into the stir-fry, they are not that noticeable. We should get another two nights or maybe three from the leftovers, so I should not have to cook until the weekend.

Len, your peppers look wonderful. Like Mike, I have a spouse who has a problem with green peppers, but fortunately, orange, yellow, and red are fine. Now if the pepper plants in our garden would set fruit, we can eat some from our garden, which are always better than what I can get in the store.

BakerAunt
                            Participant

Joan--Up here in northern Indiana, we are still waiting for the corn to be ready!

chocomouse
                              Participant

We had Italian sausages with pepper and onions in the hoagie buns I made a few weeks ago. The photo of Len's stuffed peppers has made me put them on our menu for the week after next.

RiversideLen
                                Participant

Guess what I had, (it was a stuffed pepper), with broccoli and pasta.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 32 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.