What are You Cooking the Week of July 16, 2017?

Home Forums Cooking — (other than baking) What are You Cooking the Week of July 16, 2017?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    BakerAunt
    Participant

We are in the final packing crunch for our move, so tonight's dinner will be Crescent Roll turkey dogs with cheese in the center. I hope to be cooking regular food again by the end of the week.

Spread the word
      navlys
      Participant

I made a doctored-up spaghetti dish with turkey meatballs, ground beef and sausage. I think the splash of sweet vermouth really made it spark!

BakerAunt
        Participant

It is very hot and humid today, just as it was yesterday evening. We saw a lovely 1 1/2 pound pork loin roast on sale at the grocery, so I was able to work on refining the crock pot boneless pork loin roast that I first experimented with on June 11. This time, I used three medium sweet potatoes that I peeled and cut into chunks. I put them in the crock pot with 1 cup of water and turned it on high. They were in about 45 minutes, while I tied up the pork with baker's twine, then browned it in grapeseed oil. I removed it from the skillet and added 1/4 cup maple syrup, which I let bubble for about 15 seconds. Then I put the roast back in and twirled it around in the syrup to coat it. I let it sit in the syrup, while I peeled, cored, and cut into chunks four Gala apples. I stirred the sweet potatoes, then put the pork roast atop the sweet potato chunks before putting the apple chunks atop the roast. I poured the rest of the maple syrup glaze over it. I replaced the lid, and set the timer for two hours. Dinner came out well, but I should have reduced the water by at least 1/4 cup. Also, next time I make this recipe, I will shorten the time with the meat to 90 minutes.

Italiancook
          Participant

BakerAunt, I realize that TV chefs say pork can be served pink these days, but 2 hours in the crock pot seems short to me, in terms of food safety. My crock pot cookbook advises cooking meat 7 hours, as I recall. Even if you cooked it on high for 2 hours, that is the equivalent of only 4 hours on low. I'm curious: what was the color of the pork after the 2 hours in the slow cooker? I wonder if I've been leaving meat in the cooker too long.

Glad you made your journey safely. Welcome to your new home!

navlys
            Participant

145* is the new norm I think for pork.

BakerAunt
              Participant

Thank you for the good wishes, Italian Cook.

Actually, the meat thermometer said it was close to 190. It would have been dry except for all the sauce. It was not pink. Boneless pork loins cook very fast. The maple-glazed one that I make for Easter every year (which gave me the idea about the glaze) is browned on the stove top and usually is done within 25 minutes or so in the oven. That recipe says to cook the roast until 135F, then remove to a platter and cover with foil for 15 minutes, at which time, the temperature should go up to 150. I have also heard that 145F is

I have an older, 3 1/2 quart crockpot from the 1980s. It came from Montgomery Ward. I suspect that it gets hotter than newer crock pots.

• This reply was modified 6 years, 9 months ago by BakerAunt.
                BakerAunt
                Participant

We went to the farmer's market on Saturday morning. Due to the rain, the venders were limited, but we did find some nice small potatoes and green beans. In the evening, I roasted chicken legs with the potatoes after drizzling with olive oil and sprinkling with rosemary, salt, and pepper. We also boiled some sweet corn, and steamed the green beans.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.