What are You Cooking the Week of December 3, 2017?

Home Forums Cooking — (other than baking) What are You Cooking the Week of December 3, 2017?

Viewing 13 posts - 31 through 43 (of 43 total)
  • Author
    Italiancook
    Participant

I added a new cookbook to my bookcase. Mennonite Community Cookbook. Today, I tried their "Barbequed Hamburger." It's served on buns, so I thought it'd be "sloppy" like Sloppy Joes. It is not. I think it's because I drained the grease and juices off the hamburger after it browned. I do that for Sloppy Joes and don't lose any of the sloppiness. With this recipe, I need to drain off only some of the fat and juices. Tastes good, though. Made it for the freezer.

Mike Nolan
      Keymaster

If it's loose but not sloppy, it sounds like what they call a Made-Rite. There's a Made-Rite at the Amana colonies exit on I-80 in Iowa. There used to be a place in Lincoln that made these (and the best onion chips in town), but it closed a few years ago after something like 5 decades, and is still sorely missed by many of us.

BakerAunt
        Participant

Saturday afternoon, I began a pot of stew on the kitchen stove, then moved it to the wood stove to simmer the meat, before adding the vegetables and thickening it with regular Clearjel. Stew is a perfect meal for tonight, as we have had 8-9 inches of snow since morning, and it is not over yet. My husband has shoveled the walks and driveway three times. He is now talking about buying his cousin's snow blower. (That cousin and his wife now spend the winters in Arizona.)

Mike, that discussion about rolling pins and pigeon-holes has started me thinking about the cabinets in our kitchen remodel. Having a place for various wraps other than a drawer would be good.

• This reply was modified 6 years, 4 months ago by BakerAunt.
          cwcdesign
          Participant

It is cold here in southeast Georgia 45 now going down to the high 30’s tonight, so I’m simmering Cincinnati chili on the stove.

chocomouse
            Participant

Last night we had ribs and potatoes roasted on the grill, with asparagus frozen from our garden last spring. Tonight, we have 2 inches (so far) of snow on our deck -- no grilling here. So we had turkey soup with lots of veggies added and Deli Rye Rolls.

Italiancook
              Participant

Mike, yes, the Barbequed Hamburger is loose but not sloppy. But I'm confused. Is Made-Rite a type of cooking, or a restaurant?

Mike Nolan
                Keymaster

Sort of both. Around here a made-rite (without caps) is a seasoned loose ground beef sandwich, Made-Rite (with caps) is a small fast food restaurant chain featuring that type of sandwich, which they call a burger, though I don't think of them as burgers. I've seen them called tasty or tastee sandwiches, too.

One recipe for them is interesting for those on a low fat diet. You brown the ground beef, rinse it in boiling water, and then add spices. The boiling water removes most of the melted fat, so what's left is fairly low fat.

Nebraska is also home of the Runza, which has ground beef, cabbage and onions baked inside bread, often with other flavorings. Pirogis are similar sandwiches common out east.

• This reply was modified 6 years, 4 months ago by Mike Nolan.
                  luvpyrpom
                  Participant

Hello! I'm back after not posting for a while. It's hard to cook for two or one and half (my mother has a very small appetite so things last a long time here). This week I made spinach and vegan ricotta manicotta with meat spaghetti sauce. On Tuesday, made ham fried rice with corn and peas. The Costco here in Seattle, also has rotisserie chicken leg quarters (8 leg quarters for $5) and I freeze each piece. It's enough for my mother and I with the fried rice as a side dish. Yesterday I picked up some fresh rock cod fillets and a salmon fillet for next week.

luvpyrpom
                    Participant

Navlys, I forgot to mention that you can freeze your cooked cranberry sauce. I do that all the time and when I freeze it, I place it in 1 cup containers. I use it to make Italiancook's Banana Cranberry Sauce Bread.

Mike Nolan
                      Keymaster

Many meals I make wind up feeding the two of us for supper and lunch--sometimes several lunches. Some recipes just don't work well if you try to scale them down too much. Try making meat loaf for two, for example. When I make Vienna bread, I make two 14" loaves each weighing about 25 ounces before baking, then I cut each loaf in half and freeze them. Even then, sometimes a half-loaf will go bad before we eat that much bread, but at least that's better than throwing away 2/3 of a full loaf.

luvpyrpom
                        Participant

I know, Mike. I've figured out that a 9x5 loaf of bread will last us about a week and that's with me eating 4 slices a day (2 for breakfast and 2 for lunch). I've figured out that the sliced deli ham is a perfect sandwich protein. Anything bigger than that loaf, I end up throwing part of the bread out that has become moldy.

Joan Simpson
                          Participant

Fend for yourself tonight.Hubby made him a bowl of soup and I had banana sandwich with a glass of milk.

RiversideLen
                            Participant

Today I made a pork rib roast and roasted potatoes and sweet potatoes. I cut the sweet potatoes a bit smaller then the white, tossed them with avocado oil and roasted them at 400 degrees. They came out great and didn't take too long to cook. I put them in the oven shortly before the pork was done and they finished while the roast was resting.

Viewing 13 posts - 31 through 43 (of 43 total)
                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.