What are You Cooking the Week of May 20, 2018?

Home Forums Cooking — (other than baking) What are You Cooking the Week of May 20, 2018?

Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    Joan Simpson
    Participant

Tonight we had fried chicken,left over black eyed peas and potato salad.

BakerAunt
      Participant

Friday morning, I made a half recipe of Mike Nolan’s mother’s potato salad. I used two eggs, since I did not want half a hard-boiled egg left. I used 2 Tbs. of celery seed, which is the amount halved of the original posted recipe. I used green onions instead of regular, as my husband prefers them. I accidentally put in 2 Tbs. of red wine vinegar rather than 1 Tbs.; I was distracted because my husband was talking to me. I had to use yellow potatoes, as I did not want to go back to the store. I followed Mike’s cooking suggestion, and they came out well, although they tend to be slightly less firm than red potatoes. I reduced the salt in the half recipe from 1 tsp to ¾ tsp. While I know that it should rest overnight, we will start eating it tonight, along with a rotisserie chicken we picked up on the morning’s grocery run. (They mark down the ones that were left over from the day before.) I think that our menu, along with the dessert I baked this morning, are perfect for the start of the Memorial Day Weekend.

Mike Nolan
        Keymaster

I don't think it's possible to have too much egg in this potato salad. 🙂

Joan Simpson
          Participant

Made spaghetti and meat sauce with garlic toast for supper.

RiversideLen
            Participant

Today I put a bottom round roast on the BBQ, made sure to use a minimal amount of charcoal so it would cook slow. I seasoned it with smoked paprika, some fresh ground pepper and a little salt. It turned out tasty.

Mike Nolan
              Keymaster

It hit 100 today here, so we did burgers on the grill, could almost have done them on the deck, because it gets up to about 130 on a day like today.

BakerAunt
                Participant

We are having hot weather in northern Indiana as well. I've been very glad the past two days to have cold chicken and potato salad, and a cooked a side vegetable in the microwave.

I will cut back on the celery seed in the potato salad next time. It seemed somewhat bitter. However, my celery seed is quiet old (as in, I-don't-recall-when-I-bought-it-old), and there is only a bit left. I just ordered some more from Penzey's, so I will do a sniff test when it arrives, before throwing out the old stuff. I did some internet sleuthing, but I could not find any suggestion that celery seed can go bad.

Mike Nolan
                  Keymaster

Celery seed does have a bitter aftertaste. Although I suppose it's possible it could go rancid, as nearly all seeds have some oil in them, I suspect it's just a bit too pungent for your taste.

I buy it in 16 ounce packages, and it can take me several years to use that much.

I have been using celery seed in a lot of dishes lately, as I continue to experiment with ways to replace salt in recipes, I often pair it with dill. I think it also pairs interestingly with poppy seed, which I think is underutilized as a seasoning, as it is often relegated to being used only as a topping on breads, in salad dressing, and in some desserts.

Something I've started to do is to write the date on packages of spices and herbs when I buy them, usually on the bottom with a permanent marker.

BakerAunt
                    Participant

Thanks for commenting, Mike. Now that I think about it, two of the recipes that I make that use celery seed--sloppy Josephines and four bean salad--also have sugar in them, so that may be why I never thought of celery seed as being bitter.

I also use it in my clam chowder, which has no sugar, but I don't use a lot.

While exploring the topic on the internet, I found a recipe for Celery Seed Bread--it seems to be made like garlic bread, only it does not use garlic.

I also found some anecdotal comments that celery seed can help lower blood pressure, but I did not see any scientific study to back up the assertion.

• This reply was modified 5 years, 11 months ago by BakerAunt.
                      navlys
                      Participant

I grilled some marinated chicken breasts which I sliced to top our salad dinner. I used spring mix, cucumber, sugar snap peas, cherry tomatoes, grapes, feta cheese, rana sausage ravioli cut into thirds and homemade balsamic salad dressing with fresh basil and chives. Pfew! I served it with my potato sourdough bread.

Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.