What are You Baking the Week of October 18, 2020?

Home Forums Baking — Breads and Rolls What are You Baking the Week of October 18, 2020?

Viewing 14 posts - 16 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Author
    Joan Simpson
    Participant

Len your small pie looks good and the buns always look nice!

BakerAunt
      Participant

That small pie is so cute!

On Tuesday, I baked my lower in saturated fat version of Bob’s Red Mill Oregon Trail Cookies. I think that I will call mine “On the Trail Cookies,” as they are substantial enough for a hearty snack and last well.

RiversideLen
        Participant

Thanks Joan, and BA. The problem with making a mini pie is I have full size fingers.

Mike Nolan
          Keymaster

I've pretty much stopped making fluted edges, in part because, like Len, my hands are fairly large, but also because I've noticed over the years that a lot of those carefully crafted edges get left on the plate.

I still take the time to make a lattice crust for a cherry pie, because, well, it just isn't a cherry pie without a lattice crust!

BakerAunt
            Participant

I had hoped to bake crispbread today to go with leftover stew, but last night’s rain was enough that we could get the boat off the lift, so we took a boat ride around the lake this afternoon. I pulled out a recipe that I have been thinking of trying: Crazy Sesame Breadsticks, which was developed for the never published Christmas menu in the December 2009 issue of Gourmet, but was put on the web by Epicurious in December 2018. I made two changes in that I used ½ cup white whole wheat flour, and I cut the salt from 1 ¼ to 1 tsp. I used unhulled sesame seed not the mix of white and black. The first rise went well. I rolled out the dough, pressed on the sesame seed, began to cut ¼ inch strips—and realized that there was no way I was going to be able to get the strip up in one piece. So, I squished it up into a ball, kneaded to distribute the sesame seeds, then divided it into 32 pieces. I rolled each piece into a 7-inch strip, the proceeded to bake. They baked into about the thickness of a finger and have a slight crunch on the outside and chewy on the inside. They went ok with the stew. At least the recipe was quick and not a lot of work.

RiversideLen
              Participant

I made Apple Cider Doughnut Cake from the Martha Stewart site. The recipe calls for coating the finished cake with cinnamon sugar I decided to make a frosting. I boiled down about 9 ounces of apple cider to 2 ounces to use in the frosting. I added a couple drop of red food color to mimic a red apple, it came out kinda pink and I didn't want to use more.

IMG_0920

Attachments:
                You must be logged in to view attached files.
                chocomouse
                Participant

That looks good, Len. I've found a caramel glaze is good on apple baked goods. I'll check out her recipe. I've been making a lot of substitutions lately when making apple foods -- in addition to chopped or sliced apples, I sub boiled cider for some of the liquid, and applesauce for most of the oil. But caramel soaked into the warm-from-the-oven treat is the killer!

Italiancook
                  Participant

Len, your coke is scrumptious-looking! How does it taste? I'm sure the icing is delicious.

Italiancook
                    Participant

No Edit button -- cake, not coke.

RiversideLen
                      Participant

The cake is good. It's an oil cake which I like. It's a little dense and moist. I just went to youtube and found the episode in which she made it and her cake looked a lot like mine so it turned out the way it was supposed to. It's a little light on apple flavor but I think that's pretty much the norm for apple cakes. My icing is good but a little sweet and has some apple flavor. Chocomouse, a caramel topping sounds great! The recipe calls for 2 cups of AP and one cup of whole wheat, apple sauce and apple cider and olive oil. I used a combination of grapeseed and walnut oils because I have some grapeseed oil that is approaching it's best buy date. I might make this again.

BakerAunt
                        Participant

I think that I've baked that cake, Len. Or maybe I just meant to do so? At any rate, your cake looks delicious.

The caramel discussion reminded me of a scrumptious--butter based probably--cake that I made some years ago from Southern Living, I think, that had a wonderful caramel frosting. However, as I only managed to drop my LDL cholesterol another 7 points at the last doctor's visit, I'll have to continue forgoing caramel. I comfort myself that the LDL is 32 points less than two years ago.

I do recommend the olive oil apple cake that I baked last year and the year before. I wish that I could get some good apples.

Joan Simpson
                          Participant

Len the cake looks great,nice!

BakerAunt
                            Participant

On Saturday, I baked Bernard Clayton’s Dark Grains Bread, with some tweaks of my own. I used molasses, as he specifies, because honey, which I have substituted in the past, is more expensive. We have a good local person from whom we buy it, but I try to reserve it for eating (mostly my husband puts it on his oatmeal), and I use it sparingly in recipes. I really miss trips to T.J. Maxx, Ross, and Big Lots where I could buy a German honey that I would use in baking. This bread sometimes has more rise than at other times. I might try some gold yeast as part of the yeast next time.

Note: We cut it at lunch the next day. While it is a firm bread, it is not a dense loaf, so the rise is what it should be. The taste is terrific; the molasses blended in well.

RiversideLen
                              Participant

I had my brother over yesterday and he thought the apple cider cake was very good, once he learned the recipe calls for olive oil he wanted the recipe.

Viewing 14 posts - 16 through 29 (of 29 total)
                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.