What are You Baking the Week of November 18, 2018?

Home Forums Baking — Breads and Rolls What are You Baking the Week of November 18, 2018?

Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    navlys
    Participant

I made rolls which started out in my bread machine. Because I hadn't used the machine in a while I looked at the manual (Zojirushi) and noticed that if you are using instant yeast you use the "Quick Dough" setting instead of "Basic Dough". This resulted in a shorter proofing time and second rise. The rolls weren't that tasty. Do you think I could have used the "Basic Dough " setting even though I was using instant yeast?

Mike Nolan
      Keymaster

I never paid any attention to that, and always used IDY.

skeptic7
        Participant

For Thanksgiving I made an apple slab pie -- it was easier to cut than a regular pie and had plenty of crust for crust lovers, and pumpkin cornbread with cranberries.

Thanksgiving evening I baked whole wheat chocolate scones to bring half to a friend who was working overnight at Penneys for their Thanksgiving night sales.

Friday I spent all afternoon baking a 14 lb Red Warty thing -- which was either an odd looking pumpkin or a odd looking squash and had 4 1/2 pints of pumpkin puree out of it.
          Today I have sage and rosemary Focaccio -- rather odd shaped I put in too little water and it didn't flatten out completely.

I don't feel like baking or eating anything right now. My Thanksgiving leftovers included a green bean casserole which contained bacon and more bacon and cheese and fried onion bits and while it was all so very tasty, it was very filling.

skeptic7
          Participant

For Thanksgiving I made an apple slab pie -- it was easier to cut than a regular pie and had plenty of crust for crust lovers, and pumpkin cornbread with cranberries.

Thanksgiving evening I baked whole wheat chocolate scones to bring half to a friend who was working overnight at Penneys for their Thanksgiving night sales.

Friday I spent all afternoon baking a 14 lb Red Warty thing -- which was either an odd looking pumpkin or a odd looking squash and had 4 1/2 pints of pumpkin puree out of it.
            Today I have sage and rosemary Focaccio -- rather odd shaped I put in too little water and it didn't flatten out completely.

I don't feel like baking or eating anything right now. My Thanksgiving leftovers included a green bean casserole which contained bacon and more bacon and cheese and fried onion bits and while it was all so very tasty, it was very filling.

chocomouse
            Participant

navlys, I always use the basic dough setting on my bread machine. It takes about an hour and a half to mix, knead, and rise the dough, then I take it out for a quick knead and shaping for the final rise. I've never baked in it, and never used any other settings. I use the SAF red instant yeast, which I buy at BJs and store in the freezer. All the breads develop good flavor.

Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.