What are You Baking the Week of November 18, 2018?

Home Forums Baking — Breads and Rolls What are You Baking the Week of November 18, 2018?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    BakerAunt
    Participant

I'm looking forward to hearing about all the great Thanksgiving baking this week!

Spread the word
      • This topic was modified 5 years, 4 months ago by BakerAunt.
      BakerAunt
      Participant

On Monday, I baked a Lime-Nutmeg Bundt Cake, which is my free-wheeling adaptation of an Orange-Cardamom Loaves recipe. See "What Spices Go with Lime in a Quick Bread?" thread for all the details.

• This reply was modified 5 years, 4 months ago by BakerAunt.
        • This reply was modified 5 years, 4 months ago by BakerAunt.
        RiversideLen
        Participant

Today I made KAF's Pumpkin Cinnamon rolls. Just a few changes, I used raisins as I don't have dried cranberries and crystallized ginger, besides I like raisins in my cinnamon rolls. I used walnut oil instead of butter and I used cake spice instead of the cinnamon, ginger and cloves in the dough. It's an easy dough to roll out. they just came out of the oven a few minutes ago so I haven't tried one yet.

pumpkincinamon

I iced them but I thought the plain ones made a better pic.

Attachments:
          You must be logged in to view attached files.
          skeptic7
          Participant

Riverside Len;
            Those look beautiful. I'm sure they will taste fine.

Joan Simpson
            Participant

Look's good RiversideLen.

BakerAunt
              Participant

Ah, pumpkin and ginger--a winning combination, Len

Today I baked my Lower-Fat Whole Wheat, Sourdough Cheese Crackers from the dough I made last week.

RiversideLen
                Participant

Thanks all! They came out pretty good but just a tad dry. The instructions said to bake for 25 to 30 minutes, I went with 30. Next time I'll shave 2 minutes off. But overall, I'm pretty happy with them.

Joan Simpson
                  Participant

I baked KAF pumpkin pie that has black pepper in it(I've baked this one before) and it was very good.I cheated and used a store bought crust,had too much filling for the deep dish pie crust so I baked 2 custard cups of the filling only 20 min baking for them and the pie took about 45 min looks good no cracking and I'm eating one of the custard cups now and it's hitting the spot with a dollop of whip cream.

Mike Nolan
                    Keymaster

Well, tonight was supposed to be the night I baked my apple pie for Thanksgiving, but when I took the pie dough out of the fridge it was too crumbly to roll out, I must not have hydrated it enough last night. I sprayed it with water and am letting that soak in, if that doesn't rescue it I may have to make a new batch.

Mike Nolan
                      Keymaster

I'm just not a fan of pumpkin pie, but my wife likes the custard filling in it, so a few times either she or I have made a batch of the filling and baked it in ramekins--pumpkin pie without the pie crust. She often makes it with Splenda instead of sugar.

Mike Nolan
                        Keymaster

I wound up making another batch of pie dough for this pie, and it needs to chill for an hour or two, so I might wind up making the pie tomorrow morning. If I can rescue the first batch I'll make some other kind of pie with it over the weekend, possibly a cherry pie, I think I still have some pie cherries in the freezer.

BakerAunt
                          Participant

I sympathize with you on the pie crust, Mike. In my case, it was those two "not pie pumpkins" that put me behind on preparations. At least you will be able to use the first crust in another way.

This Thanksgiving morning, I baked Stella Parks’ Yeasted Pumpkin Bread as twelve rolls, following her directions, except that I baked them in a 9x9-inch pan rather than in a cast iron 10-inch skillet. Of course, I used my stand mixer, added 3 Tbs. flax meal, used white whole wheat flour (1 1/2 cups and made up the rest of the weight with the bread flour), and added 2 1/2 Tbs. special dried milk. I used grapeseed oil rather than butter. I will take these to the friends’ house where we are invited for dinner tonight. The pumpkin and maple should make a delicious accompaniment to the traditional dinner.

Mike Nolan
                            Keymaster

So this morning I baked my pie and a 10x10 Texas Chocolate Sheet Cake, and then I made popovers as the appetizer for dinner. One of our guests brought a cherry pie her daughter made, so we had 3 desserts on the table. Plenty to give thanks for.

I'm going to wait a day or two to see if the first batch of pie dough can be rescued, not sure what I'll make with it anyway, since we've already had some cherry pie this weekend.

BakerAunt
                              Participant

We are almost out of bread, so I baked two loaves of my Buttermilk Barley Whole Wheat Grape Nuts bread. One will go into the freezer.

RiversideLen
                                Participant

I made bread today, I divided the dough and made 4 burger buns and a small basket weave loaf.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.