What are You Baking the Week of May 21, 2017?

Home Forums Baking — Breads and Rolls What are You Baking the Week of May 21, 2017?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    BakerAunt
    Participant

On Sunday, I baked Pecan Pumpkin Pie Squares. I think there is now only 1/2 cup of pumpkin left in the freezer.

Spread the word
      aaronatthedoublef
      Participant

Not sure if this is baking or cooking or both but yesterday was my son's birthday. Somehow he decided he wanted an egg sandwich using waffles as the bread. So that is what I made him. His brother and sister had pancakes with strawberries and blueberries. I've found I need to lower the heat and cook the pancakes a bit longer when adding fruit to them. Just putting them on top would probably be easier.

I need to make another rye bread this week and maybe English muffins.

BakerAunt
        Participant

I'm trying out a new recipe for Orange Cream Scones that I tore out of a Bon Appetit (August 2000), p. 104. (I'm trying to cut down on stuff before our move, and I have some nice organic oranges.) I'm making a half recipe, and I'm substituting in 1 cup of barley flour for one of the two cups of AP Flour. I'll cut the butter into the dry ingredients tonight, then refrigerate it overnight. Tomorrow, I'll add the egg and half and half, mix, shape, and bake for breakfast. I'll report back on the recipe by adding an addendum to this post.

Addendum: The scones are fabulous. I did add 1/4 tsp. of orange oil. I froze three of the six I baked. I kept two others out, and I will check to see if they hold up over a couple of days.

Second Note: The scones are very good the second day, but they are truly excellent when freshly baked and warm.

• This reply was modified 6 years, 11 months ago by BakerAunt.
          • This reply was modified 6 years, 11 months ago by BakerAunt. Reason: added material
          Mike Nolan
          Keymaster

I made another semolina bread loaf and froze half of it.

BakerAunt
            Participant

I have Orange Barley Pound Cake (recipe on this site) baking in the oven. I'm also about to start the KAF Ultra-Thin Pizza Crust, so that we can have pizza for dinner.

Note: On the pizza, as usual, I drizzled in the olive oil after the rest of the ingredients started mixing. However, for the first time I weighed the ingredients rather than measuring by volume. The dough was a bit stickier, but my husband said it was my best crust yet, and I agree.

BakerAunt
              Participant

On Wednesday, in need of baking therapy, and in a quest to use up some shredded coconut I baked Anzac Biscuits, using the recipe from The King Arthur Flour Cookie Companion (p. 83). I find these work better with quick rolled oats, and I use unsweetened shredded coconut. I use my 1 Tbs. scoop to drop them (Zeroll #40) and so get 24. d after looking at stoves online,

aaronatthedoublef
                Participant

BA... I've noticed that if I use the volume measurements I invariably use a lot more flour than if I use the weights on KAF recipes. I used the weights for their no-knead challah and the dough was too soft to maintain its shape. Of course they put theirs in a pan to make a round loaf and I was making braids. I made the recipe again and added an extra 3.5 ounces of flour.

BakerAunt
                  Participant

With hazelnut meal and Valrhona Milk Chocolate that need to be used up, I finally made the KAF recipe (was in one of their catalogs) for which I had bought them: Malted Milk Chocolate Hazelnut Tart. The recipe specified toasted hazelnut flour. I used hazelnut meal instead, which might be why I needed an additional tablespoon of water in the crust. Although I have a 4 1/4x13 3/4 rectangular tart pan, there was about 1/4 cup too much filling, so I put it in a little dish and will feed it to my husband for dessert, since the tart has to sit at least four hours and thus will not be ready for tonight's dinner. I do not recall if I bought this tart pan from KAF. The one they advertised was made in France, and this one is a Fat Daddio's, but I have a faint recollection of being surprised about that when the package came, and the others I have, in different sizes, bear T.J. Maxx stickers. The filling tastes wonderful, but with high quality chocolate, heavy cream, butter, and malted milk, how could it not be? I actually have enough to make a second one, if we like it.

Addendum: The creamy texture of the tart is wonderfully complemented by the hazelnut crust. I will definitely make it again, and it is an easy recipe that only requires baking the crust.

http://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes/malted-milk-chocolate-hazelnut-tart-recipe

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.