What are you Baking the Week of March 24, 2024?

Home Forums Baking — Breads and Rolls What are you Baking the Week of March 24, 2024?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    Mike Nolan
    Keymaster

No baking plans yet here.

Spread the word
      BakerAunt
      Participant

I made sourdough pan pizza for dinner on Sunday. We had it with coleslaw.

Mike Nolan
        Keymaster

One of the sites I've been looking at has what looks like a promising recipe for a low-carb pizza crust using vital wheat gluten, so I'm hoping to have pizza some time in the next week or so. That may be our next splurge night meal.

This is the same site that I adapted the rye bread recipe from, and that worked out pretty good, except it was probably a bit underbaked and damp and it went moldy in less than a week. But I'll try it again with a better sized pan soon.

Mike Nolan
          Keymaster

I'm making keto-friendly buns today, using my take on a recipe from the same site that had the rye bread recipe, which worked out fairly well but was too damp, so I'll keep an eye on them during baking. These would be 11 carbs (8 net carbs) per bun, which is pretty good for a 3 ounce bun.

BakerAunt
            Participant

I baked pumpkin oat muffins for breakfast on Monday from a recipe that I have adapted (a lot). I like my version.

I also baked an apple pie, using most of the rest of the Winesaps. I still have five in the garage. They will likely become apple cobbler soon.

Mike Nolan
              Keymaster

I'm gonna make an apple pie this week with some of the apple pie filling that I defrosted. I figured out if we divide the pie into 16 pieces, they're under 25 carbs each.

Mike Nolan
                Keymaster

The buns were OK, but they had a taste I couldn't identify, maybe the flax meal? I will be tweaking this recipe over time, I suspect.

We each had a BBQ beef sandwich and a small salad.

chocomouse
                  Participant

Today I baked 2 loaves of Harvest Grains bread.

BakerAunt
                    Participant

Before going to bed on Tuesday, I stirred up levain for Honey Spelt Sourdough Bread, which I plan to bake tomorrow.

BakerAunt
                      Participant

My Honey Spelt Sourdough did not come out as I would have liked. The house was too cool today but not cool enough for the furnace to come on that often, so my usual spot for letting dough rise was not getting the heat from the vent. I perhaps should have allowed more time for the first rise than the 70 minutes that I did, but the recipe suggests that it is the second rise which should be the longest. For the second rise, I did move it, eventually to the stove top where I had made soup to warm it up. I was using the Emile Henry Long Baker. I decided to put it into the oven, then turn on the baking temperature, so that the bread had a cold start, although the oven was already a bit warm from the squash I had roasted earlier. Where I made my error is not slashing the bread, so while it had a nice rise and baked well, it broke across the top in a not attractive way. It's a rookie error. I should have known better, but my mind was preoccupied with other matters. I think it will still be a good loaf. I may repeat the experiment to see if I can perfect this recipe. It's unusual in that it uses 4 cups of spelt flour and just 1 ¼ cups bread flour. I have baked it before, and I kept my changes, but it has been hit or miss on whether I get a loaf that does not sink. This one did not, so I am on the right track. The original recipe is from King Arthur. It uses an Emile Henry covered loaf pan rather than the long baker.

Mike Nolan
                        Keymaster

I have hot cross buns dough rising, enough for one batch of 16 and 3 batches of 8, all to give away tomorrow.

BakerAunt
                          Participant

On Thursday I made and shaped the dough for my wholegrain Hot Cross Buns. The recipe originally came from the Los Angeles Times food section many years ago (back when they had real recipes that people would mostly cook and bake), but I made it mostly whole grain and did so many other tweaks that it is now my own recipe. I will let the dough rise in the pan overnight, then I will bake them on the morning of Good Friday.

Mike Nolan
                            Keymaster

Forgot to say I baked an apple pie last night.

RiversideLen
                              Participant

Made a batch of burger/sandwich buns.

BakerAunt
                                Participant

I baked my Hot Cross Buns on Friday morning. I always glaze them instead of making crosses, although one of these days, I will make some frosting and pipe crosses atop the glaze. I have the recipe exactly the way I like it now, so I will type up the new version. An added bonus for me is that the dough works in the Zo bread machine for mixing and kneading. I used golden raisins. I thought about adding some candied orange and lemon peel, but I was not sure that my husband would like that innovation.

I had two for breakfast with my coffee. My husband will probably have one with his tea this afternoon. He will share a bit with the dog, while making sure she does not get any of the raisins.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.