What are you Baking the Week of March 24, 2024?

Home Forums Baking — Breads and Rolls What are you Baking the Week of March 24, 2024?

Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    Mike Nolan
    Keymaster

I'm trying a keto-friendly hot cross buns recipe today, though I did add some raisins, they just aren't hot cross buns without raisins! But I only used a quarter-cup in a recipe that made 9 rolls.

Mike Nolan
      Keymaster

The keto-friendly hot cross buns were OK, but the spice flavors were muted compared to the KAF hot cross buns recipe I usually make, even though there's more spice as a percentage of the dough. The almond flour may be masking the spices somehow. I think using some pecan or sunflower meal for part of the almond flour would probably have improved them.

They took quite a bit longer to bake fully, but that's been true of several recipes from that site.

I tried making some cream cheese frosting with allulose instead of powder sugar, the allulose is smaller grained than granulated sugar but still much larger than powdered sugar so they taste a little gritty, but when you put them on a hot cross bun you don't really notice that. But there's not much frosting on a hot cross bun, so using the allulose version seems a bit unnecessary.

skeptic7
        Participant

I made Hot Cross Buns again, more or less the same recipe but I found that in the two previous iterations I had left out the cinnamon. Wierd isn't it, to use only allspice, nutmegs and cloves in a Hot Cross Bun recipe. However one recipe that I have made only called for allspice as a seasoning. This batch came out well but took more time to rise and never rose as high as the two previous batches. I knew cinnamon inhibits yeast activity, I just didn't think it would make a difference for an all white flour recipe. When I made whole wheat Hot Cross Buns I paid attention to everything that would prevent the yeast from rising starting with scalding the milk to having the cinnamon and other spices as a glaze instead of in the dough.
          I just ate one Bun unfrosted and still hot and it was buttery and tender. I'll be giving part of this batch away.

skeptic7
          Participant

Congratulations on the keto-friendly Hot Cross Buns. Its wonderful that you can find a recipe that fits your diet.

BakerAunt
            Participant

Skeptic--I have not found that cinnamon inhibits the rise of my Hot Cross Buns dough. I do use the special yeast for high sugar doughs. My HCBs rise slowly because they have a high percentage of whole grain. However, they had oven spring.

chocomouse
              Participant

I made two loaves of pumpernickel bread, ready for leftover ham!

Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.