What are You Baking the Week of March 19, 2017?

Home Forums Baking — Breads and Rolls What are You Baking the Week of March 19, 2017?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 31 total)
  • Author
    BakerAunt
    Participant

I'm starting the baking thread for the coming week a day early, as we will be traveling today and tomorrow.

Spread the word
      Mike Nolan
      Keymaster

I just got the winter issue of Bread Lines (BBGA newsletter) and it has a sesame semolina bread recipe that I'm going to try tomorrow. I need to pick up some ingredients for the soaker and get it going tonight.

Mike Nolan
        Keymaster

Made the BBGA sesame semolina bread today. It's pretty good, but I next time I may use something other than olive oil and I may leave the millet out of the soaker or possibly replace it with semolina. (There's actually no semolina in the bread, but there is durum flour.)

Overall, it's a pretty good bread, with a nice airy crumb. I think it could have benefited from one or two stretch and folds, but otherwise it's got a good shape. It'll make good sandwiches this week.

I think my wife prefers the loaf of honey wheat bread I got out of the freezer, but that's a bread I've been making for 10 years.

RiversideLen
          Participant

KAF has a recipe for Chewy Semolina Rye Bread, it looks like a decent recipe but I wanted a rye raisin bread so I modified it into Chewy Semolina Cinnamon Raisin Rye Bread (that's a mouthful to say). I omitted the onion, added a teaspoon of cinnamon, a cup of raisins, subbed 2 tablespoons of honey for the one tablespoon of sugar and used hazelnut oil instead of olive oil. It's fresh out of the oven so I haven't sliced into it yet.

Semolina-rye-raisin

You may have noticed I like posting pics, I hope that's OK. I also like seeing how other people's things turn out, and you know, a pic is worth a lot of words.

Attachments:
            You must be logged in to view attached files.
            Mike Nolan
            Keymaster

I probably don't post enough photos, myself. But I have to transfer them off the camera, move them to another system and resize them before I post them. (I tend to take all my photos at high resolution, 4000 x 6000.)

Rascals1
              Participant

your bread looks really good len.
                I had tried a rye bread before but my family didn't like it so I haven't tried anymore rye.

• This reply was modified 7 years, 1 month ago by Rascals1.
                • This reply was modified 7 years, 1 month ago by Rascals1.
                RiversideLen
                Participant

Thanks Rascals.

I've had a few slices of the Rye Raisin bread and I like it a lot. I'll be making that again.

I have a bag of rye flour that is fast approaching it's best use by date so I'm looking for ways to get it used up. Today I decided to incorporate some rye in pizza dough. It's something that I've thought about before but haven't done until now. I used 1/2 cup of each, rye, semolina, bread and white whole wheat flours, a quarter tsp of salt and yeast, a tbsp of olive oil and honey, hydrated at 69%. I've had it proofing at room temp for a few hours, I will soon put it in the fridge and will use half of it tomorrow. I'll report back.

Joan Simpson
                  Participant

Made two loaves of banana nut bread tonight.

aaronatthedoublef
                    Participant

Len, I think you are the king of the rye bread!

So far all I've done this week is pizza again. The one thing I changed was I added some fontina to the usual mozzarella. I expected big complaints but no one noticed one way or the other.

Next week I will try a St. Louis style crust again. I have few ideas I want to try and I'll report the results back here.

Mike Nolan
                      Keymaster

I made a pizza tonight using the 8 x 18 Flatbread Pizza Pan I got from King Arthur Flour last week. I also used it to bake the sesame-semolina bread I made from the BBGA recipe. I can see this is going to be my favorite baking pan for a while.

The pan is just a bit larger than a 12" pizza pan, so I made a half-recipe of the Ultra-Thin Pizza Crust, let it age for a day and streeeetched it to fit. It was very thin but crisp, just the way I like it.

My wife still needs to run the recipe through the My Fitness Pal website, so I don't know how many carbs it is, but if it isn't TOO bad pizza may be back on the menu here at least as an occasional treat, the little oven takes a lot less time to heat up and this size pizza is just about right for 2 people with some leftovers, it'd be enough for 3 people if I added a salad.

I had marinara in the freezer, so I used that, but I think next time I'm just going to try spreading a little tomato paste over the dough, I think that might be similar to what the pizza we had in Ottawa CA did.

RiversideLen
                        Participant

I took a third of my rye pizza dough and rolled it out thin. Topped it with jarred pasta sauce, fresh mushrooms, chopped, ground beef, mozzarella and Mexican cheese.

pizza-rye‑2

There it is unbaked so you can see the pale color of the rye dough.

I baked it at 500 degrees on a baking stone with parchment paper. I slid the parchment out after 2 minutes and baked the pizza a total of 6 minutes.

pizza-rye

It was good, really can't tell it's rye.

Attachments:
                          You must be logged in to view attached files.
                          RiversideLen
                          Participant

Mike, that pizza pan looks interesting. What is the max temp it is rated at?

aaronatthedoublef
                            Participant

Len, how did the pizza taste? I'm trying new things to push my family beyond the usual. But my wife does not like rye. One of my sons does and the other two kids are ambivalent.

Here is an article I found about Ron Santo's Pizzerias... Doesn't talk about the frozen pizzas though. I remember Mr. Santo well but have no recollection of his pizza. But then I'm a fifth generation South Side White Sox fan!

RiversideLen
                              Participant

The pizza tastes great, just like pizza. The tomato sauce, toppings and cheese are the main flavors. Rye without the addition of caraway seeds is pretty mild. I haven't used seeds in rye in years, my rye breads are mild in taste. I also go easy on salt in my breads and that might help to tone down the flavor of the grains. Or who knows, maybe my taste buds are fried, lol.

Interesting article on Ron Santo's pizza place, Aaron, I didn't realize he had a chain of them. I know the ball players back then didn't earn anywhere near what they get today. So earning a few bucks on the side was probably important. They had Ron Santo pizza in Wrigley Field in the '60's, for a while. They were limp individual serving pies, I'm sure they weren't anything like the pies in his restaurants or the frozen pies at the grocer, I'm sure Mr. Wrigley dumbed them down in order to create maximum profit.

Mike Nolan
                                Keymaster

I don't see anything on the KAF site about a heat rating, but I had the oven as high as I can get it (about 525 degrees) and it seems to have survived.

I oiled the pan a little, though KAF says it is non-stick. A little dough stuck to the pan anyway, probably because I pushed it through the holes too much when stretching it. I may try putting it on parchment next time, but would probably need to pull the parchment out after the crust sets, because I'm not sure what temperature parchment can handle. (Paper, as Ray Bradbury taught us, burns at 451 degrees Fahrenheit.)

Assuming you get 12 slices overall (6 along the long edge and 2 along the short edge), my wife says the KAF crust recipe comes out to about 9.6 grams of carbs per slice. (plus whatever the sauce and toppings add, of course.)

I've put a little rye flour in pizza dough before, but I prefer adding semolina or durum flour, I think it makes the crust crispier.

The frozen Ron Santo Pro Pizzas were available in the 60's (and were, of course, the ones sold at Wrigley Field back then), but I don't think the company lasted past the late 70's. There were several on the west side of Chicago but none near Evanston, which is where we lived.

I thought the ones at the ballpark were not quite as crisp as the ones made at home, but that's probably just due to the limitations of ballpark concession food.

I remember an article in Sport Magazine back in the 60's about Ron's business interests, he also had part ownership of an insurance company back then and was an executive at Torco Oil for a while. More than a few baseball players wound up with beer distributor franchises, especially if they played for the Cardinals, who were owned by the Busch family. Car dealerships and sporting goods stores were other post-baseball occupations for ballplayers.

I will never forgive the Baseball Writers of America for not putting Ron Santo in the Hall of Fame until after his death!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 31 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.