What are You Baking the Week of March 12, 2017?

Home Forums Baking — Breads and Rolls What are You Baking the Week of March 12, 2017?

Viewing 8 posts - 31 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • Author
    Bronx
    Participant

RiversideLen,

Did the pickle juice give the bread a kind of dill taste? I've heard of using pickle juice in rye bread but have been hesitant to use it in mine because of that possibility. I accidentally bought a loaf of dill rye once and it tasted horrible to me.

And I agree, those buns look wonderful. The coloring is about the same as my rye, but I'm impressed by the symmetry of them. No way I could ever get my rolls to look so good.

Bronx

• This reply was modified 7 years, 1 month ago by Bronx.
      RiversideLen
      Participant

Bronx,

I haven't detected any dill taste. It does have a very subtle pickle aroma. I only used 2 ounces of pickle juice. I don't know that I'll do it again as I don't detect any difference in taste. Maybe I'll experiment a little more with it. I saw a KAF recipe that uses 3/4 cup of pickle juice and dill and mustard seeds. The key to the pickle juice might be adding in the seeds.

As far as shaping, I make boules in a manner to create surface tension, as explained in Peter Reinhart's Bread Bakers Apprentice, then I flatten them and then let them rise. I bake them in a bun pan, I have found they bake up better that way.

I use this pan.

BakerAunt
        Participant

On Friday, I made Oatmeal Fruit Spice Cookies by combining two recipes. The basic recipe came from Better Homes and Gardens New Baking Book, p. 190, where it was titled Apricot-Oatmeal Cookies. The other recipe was on the back of a bag of Bob's Red Mill Old-Fashioned Oats. I wanted more oats than the Bob's recipe, and some wholegrain and more spices and less sugar than the BH&G one. Here is what I did:

3/4 cups unsalted butter
          1 cup light brown sugar, packed
          1/4 cup granulated sugar
          1 egg
          1 tsp. vanilla
          1 cup AP flour (used Gold Medal)
          3/4 cup white whole wheat flour
          1 tsp. baking powder
          1/4 + 1/8 tsp salt
          1/4 tsp. baking soda
          1 tsp. cinnamon
          1/4 tsp. ground nutmeg
          2 cups old-fashioned oats
          3/4 cups dried fruit
          2/3 cups coarsely chopped pecans.

The dough was so thick that I ended up rolling it in balls about 1-inch thick (my scoop is back in Texas) and slightly flattening them with my hand. I put 20 per parchment-lined cookie sheet (recipe made 60) and baked at 375 for 10 minutes. They are small nugget-like cookies with a great taste. If I decide that I want them flatter, I think that I will need either to add another egg, or maybe a couple of Tablespoons of buttermilk.

I also baked a double recipe of my Scottish Cinnamon-Oat Scones. These, along with some of the cookies, will be for my sister and her twin girls when we visit then for breakfast on Sunday morning.

cwcdesign
          Participant

Bronx, I think dill rye means that dill (the herb) is actually added to the dough, sort of like dill havarti.

I made the pain au chocolate bread pudding again - there were leftover croissants at work and I figured I didn't want to see them go to waste. This time I went back to my original amounts of milk and cream and was much happier than when I tried to adapt to some of the comments. It is delicious ?

Mike Nolan
            Keymaster

When I took my pastry class at SFBI, one of the breakfasts we got was a savory bread pudding (with mushrooms and sausage, I think), which they made with left-over croissants. It was wonderful.

They gave us the recipe, but I never have left over croissants around here!

cwcdesign
              Participant

If I didn't get them at work, I wouldn't have them either ?

BakerAunt
                Participant

I baked yet another recipe of my Scottish Cinnamon Scones because I realized that I left the brown sugar out of the double batch I made! Aurgh! I'll give the batch that is done correctly to my sister and family, and my husband and I will eat the others, which will probably be like biscuits with cinnamon chips in them.

Italiancook
                  Participant

I understand your frustration, BakerAunt. And to have the mistake be in a double batch -- ow!

Viewing 8 posts - 31 through 38 (of 38 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.