What are you baking the week of June 24, 2018?

Home Forums Baking — Breads and Rolls What are you baking the week of June 24, 2018?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Mike Nolan
    Keymaster

Here's a thread for this week.

Spread the word
      BakerAunt
      Participant

Last week, I promised my husband a pumpkin pie, so on Sunday, I made the buttermilk crust dough (with some added sugar). The pie will have to wait until tomorrow, as we ended up taking the dog for a frisbee session this evening.

• This reply was modified 5 years, 10 months ago by BakerAunt.
        BakerAunt
        Participant

On Monday morning, I baked a pumpkin pie.

BakerAunt
          Participant

For breakfast on Tuesday, I baked a new recipe, "Cream Scones," from Beatrice Ojakangas' Breakfast with Beatrice (p. 200), which is a collection of her breakfast recipes from her various cookbooks. The recipe makes four small scones, and my only change was to substitute in 1/4 cup of cake flour for part of the 1 cup flour. These have a light texture and are slightly sweet.

We tried a bit of the jam--the little bit that did not fit into the canning jars. Black raspberries have wonderful flavor.

BakerAunt
            Participant

On Tuesday, I baked yet another of my variations on Antilope's bread, which I've been making progressively more wholegrain. I've started keeping a file of my variations. I baked it in the Emile Henry long baker.

chocomouse
              Participant

I've finally done some baking. Yesterday I made chocolate chip cookies, and maple-walnut scones. Of course, I used our own maple syrup with "no added sugars"!!! I put about 1/4 cup of syrup in the dough, and brush on more syrup before baking.

• This reply was modified 5 years, 10 months ago by chocomouse.
                Mike Nolan
                Keymaster

I haven't done any baking all week, as I'm at my son's house, but I did buy a 50 pound bag of first clear flour to take home. I'm going to be experimenting with using that in place of AP flour in some recipes.

chocomouse
                  Participant

Mike, I use first clear flour in almost all my rye bread recipes. It really does help with the rise, and I think it adds to the flavor also. I should try it with other breads. Did you get the 50 lb bag at a restaurant or kitchen supply store? I get mine at KAF, but it comes only in a 3 lb bag, or maybe it's even a 2 lb bag, can't remember.

Mike Nolan
                    Keymaster

I got it at a restaurant supply store, 50 pounds for about $19. I figure even if I don't use 3/4 of it, I'm ahead financially. I'm going to double bag a bunch of it and freeze it.

A few year back I had my (now former) neighbor check and while ConAgra and Gold Medal both have clear flours in their catalogs, they're only carried by the east coast distribution centers (and sometimes on the west coast.) Unless he wanted to order a pallet (probably 40 bags), it wasn't available in the midwest.

chocomouse
                      Participant

I pay 8.95 for 3 pounds at KAF!

Mike Nolan
                        Keymaster

Now you know why I wanted to get a 50 pound bag!

BakerAunt
                          Participant

On Thursday morning, I baked Wheat Germ Corn Muffins, a recipe from the back of a package of Bob’s Red Mill wheat germ. I also found it on their site:

It is like most cornbread recipes, but it uses just half a cup of cornmeal and adds ½ Cup wheat germ. I substituted buttermilk for regular milk, so I added ¼ tsp. baking soda (did not reduce the 1 tsp. baking powder), reduced the salt from ½ to ¼ tsp.. Instead of melted butter, I used 3 Tbs. canola oil. I made them as 6 large muffins rather than 12 standard. I had a warm one with butter—delicious!

RiversideLen
                            Participant

I made sandwich buns yesterday.

BakerAunt
                              Participant

Thursday evening, I baked Double Ginger Biscotti with Pistachios. It’s my adaptation of a recipe from the June 1997 Bon Appetit. The second time I baked it (see April 8, 2017), I added 1/3 cup crystalized ginger (hence the “double” in my title). This time, I added ½ cup of crystalized ginger, as I wanted more ginger taste.

chocomouse
                                Participant

This morning I made the Oat-Flax Buns again -- love this recipe. That's the last baking I'll do for a while. It was 91* this afternoon, will be in the 90s for the next five days, possibly reaching 100 on Monday. That's unusual for Vermont.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.