What are You Baking the Week of July 23, 2017?

Home Forums Baking — Breads and Rolls What are You Baking the Week of July 23, 2017?

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    BakerAunt
    Participant

I spent some time this afternoon shelling pecans. I hope to bake my Pecan-Lime Cookies this evening, since I brought some frozen lime juice with me that has melted and needs to be used.

Spread the word
      Italiancook
      Participant

I was looking for a quick dessert to make tonight to take to a family with dinner tomorrow. I tried Trisha Yearwood's Easy Peach Cobbler. It's made with canned peaches. After I had it assembled, I read that it has to bake for 1 hour. Not as quick as I had hoped. I'm going to have to toss it out, because the batter part ended up liquidy in the bottom of the baking dish. It didn't fully cook after 1 hour 10 minutes even though the top was golden brown where there was crust.

The recipe says to use the juice from 1 can of peaches (it takes 2). That was a scant half cup, along with 1 cup milk. For my oven, that was too much liquid.

• This reply was modified 6 years, 9 months ago by Italiancook.
        • This reply was modified 6 years, 9 months ago by Italiancook.
        Mike Nolan
        Keymaster

How old is that recipe? Canned peaches used to be packed in a heavy sugar solution; these days I'm not sure if they are, most canned fruits have gone to a light sugar solution or just use fruit juices--and not always the same fruit as what's in the can, I've seen at least one can of fruit, pears I think, that was packed using apple juice.

And that's assuming the can sizes haven't changed, which is also commonplace with older recipes.

RiversideLen
          Participant

I wonder if it might work better with canned peach pie filling instead of plain canned peaches.

Italiancook
            Participant

Mike, the recipe is copyrighted 2008. The peaches I used have light syrup. I watched Trisha's video after my attempt failed. I couldn't tell if she used heavy syrup or light syrup, but you're right -- the liquidity of the syrup used could affect the final outcome.

RiversideLen, I would be hesitant to use canned peach pie filling. The recipe starts with a stick of butter melted in the bottom of the pan. I think the pie filling would be liquidy, too.

Sometime, out of curiosity, I'm going to try using canned peaches and my dad's peach cobbler topping. But my guess is that Trisha's recipe might have worked for me if I had used frozen peaches. I never store them, so that experiment will never happen.

BakerAunt
              Participant

I shelled pecans on Sunday (we still have a lot from the tree in Texas), and on Monday I baked a double batch of Pecan Lime Cookies, using Nick Malgieri's recipe from Cookies Unlimited (p. 188). I had brought on our move frozen lime juice from last year's limes on my tree (we brought the lime tree to Indiana as well), so I needed to use it.

BakerAunt
                Participant

I had some frozen pumpkin to use up (brought with us), so I baked Pumpkin Oat Muffins, using as the base recipe one submitted by Carol Hale of Sarver, PA to Taste of Home Baking, 2010, p. 122. However I used Irish Wholemeal flour, and my version increases the pumpkin and decreases the oil. I also omitted the topping and just sprinkled with cinnamon sugar.

Mike Nolan
                  Keymaster

My son and his family are here visiting, so I'll be doing a lot of baking over the next week or so.

Today my granddaughter and I made a batch of bagels and a batch of madelines.

I actually have two madeline pans, but neither had been used before now.

I did some research on madelines recipes, most of them call for using brown butter, some call for grated lemon zest. I used the madelines recipe in the KAF Cookie Book, and had a lot of trouble getting the first batch to release from the pan. I used canola oil for the first batch, but probably not enough of it, and I think I overfilled it a bit, too. The recipe says it makes 24 cookies and I used less than half of the dough for the first dozen , but madeline pans come in multiple sizes--I know because I have two sizes of them. I used the larger one, but KAF may be using an even bigger size pan than the ones I have.

I moved from a #60 to a #100 scoop for the 2nd batch, and I also followed the prep instructions (more or less) in the Foxrun pan box, which had you grease the pan with a mixture of melted (or browned) butter and flour. I didn't take the time to brown this small amount of butter. That helped a lot with the releasing, and the cookies had a browner surface as well. Of course, they're quite a bit smaller.

For the final batch (not quite a dozen) I really slathered the pan with the butter/flour mixture. I let them cool in the pan a big longer, too. They all came out easily and have the best shape, too. Lesson learned.

The cookies are a bit softer than I was expecting, perhaps they'll harden up over time. They're tasty, though. I'm going to dip them in chocolate later on, my chocolate pot takes over an hour to heat up and temper a batch of chocolate. I just hope there are some cookies left by the time the chocolate is ready.

I may have to try one of the variants in the KAF cookie book and add some cocoa powder to the batter.

BakerAunt
                    Participant

On Wednesday, I'm baking the KAF Wheat-Oat Flax Buns. I substitute 3/4 cups buttermilk for that much water and I use 1/4 cup water rather than orange juice. I also reduce the yeast to 2 tsp. and the salt to 1 1/4 tsp..

I had twelve beautiful buns. I had to go out to call my husband to dinner because he was working on the trailer. When I returned, I had eleven beautiful buns, and an Australian Cattle Dog who was both smugly satisfied and slightly guilty. At least she only ate one--and left not a crumb behind. She hasn't nabbed any food for a couple of years, so I became complacent. I will be more careful where I leave baked goods to cool.

• This reply was modified 6 years, 9 months ago by BakerAunt.
                      Joan Simpson
                      Participant

I made another batch of cinnamon rolls and replaced the milk with buttermilk and you're right BakerAunt they are moist and more tender,also added left over mashed potatoes that was prepared with butter and sour cream.I made 2 9x13 pans so I had plenty to share with our aunt and sister who live near us.

BakerAunt
                        Participant

On Thursday, I baked a pumpkin pie with a buttermilk crust to use the last of the pumpkin that I brought with us on the move.

Joan--I'm glad that the buttermilk hint worked out well for you. I use buttermilk in my baked goods almost exclusively these days.

Mike Nolan
                          Keymaster

Yesterday I made Clonmel Doubly Crusty/Vienna Bread.

BakerAunt
                            Participant

On Saturday, I baked a one-loaf recipe of my version of Buttermilk Grape Nuts Bread (recipe on this site). I used the bread machine, as my stand mixer is still packed and will likely stay that way until we get settled. We have been having trouble in the warmer weather finishing the 8x4 inch loaves, so I halved the dough and baked it in two 7x3 inch bread pans (nice heavy ones that I happened on a few years back at T.J. Maxx). I baked the two loaves for 35 minutes. I will freeze one.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.