What are you Baking the Week of February 20, 2022?

Home Forums Baking — Breads and Rolls What are you Baking the Week of February 20, 2022?

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Mike Nolan
    Keymaster

Banana nut muffins are on my list.

Spread the word
      BakerAunt
      Participant

On Sunday, I baked my version of the Lemon Ricotta cookies from the Olive Tomato website. I always use half white whole wheat flour and part-skim ricotta cheese, as well as a large rather than a medium egg.

I also made Sourdough Pan pizza for Sunday dinner with sauce made from a can of Muir fire-roasted tomatoes, Canadian bacon, part-skim mozzarella, mushrooms, green onions, black olives (on my half), and grated Parmesan. Usually, I include chopped red bell pepper, but I used the last one in last week's stir-fry.

Italiancook
        Participant

I baked my grandmother's chocolate cake. I made it an oil cake. I substituted 3/4 cup + 1 tablespoon light olive oil for 3/4 cup butter. I decided to wait until I saw the final batter before deciding to add some water to make up for the water in the butter. I'm glad I did. The oil batter was much more liquidy than with butter, so I didn't add water. The batter was so runny that I was worried it'd need more baking time. It did not.

The rise was the same as an all-butter cake. I couldn't discern any difference in the texture. It tasted the same as the butter cake. I'll never again make this cake with butter -- not even for guests. I didn't frost it. I had planned on doing that in the morning. But after dinner, the cake called to me to cut it to check the texture. When I saw that everything is AOK, I sliced and froze the entire cake. I wonder how much butter I'm eating that can successfully be subbed out with light olive oil.

BakerAunt
          Participant

Italian Cook--another benefit of using oil rather than butter is that the cake will not dry out as fast. Indeed, it is usually better the day after it was baked.

BakerAunt
            Participant

I baked Cranberry Scones on Monday evening to use up some frozen cranberries. I used half Irish-Style flour and half King Arthur AP. I replaced 8 Tbs. butter with 1/3 cup canola oil and increased the kefir I used in place of buttermilk from 2/3 to 3/4cup. I baked them in my Nordic Ware scone pan after coating it with the Grease, which made for an easy release. I also sprinkled them with the white sparkling sugar from King Arthur before baking.

Joan Simpson
              Participant

I made half a cake mix of lemon Supreme cake.I'd never baked half a box cake but it came out fine,I baked it in a loaf pan and it's just the right size for the two of us.

Mike Nolan
                Keymaster

I made a batch of 7 dozen banana nut mini-muffins today. Most will go in the freezer, but they're so good that first day.

BakerAunt
                  Participant

I made dough for Whole Wheat Sourdough Cheese Crackers on Thursday. I will bake them next week after the dough rests in the refrigerator.

Joan Simpson
                    Participant

I made a loaf of cinnamon bread today and forgot to brush the bread with egg and water before putting the cinnamon sugar mixture on so I'll know later if it sticks together.I haven't baked bread lately.

BakerAunt
                      Participant

Joan--When I make cinnamon bread, I sprinkle on the cinnamon sugar mixture, then spritz with water before rolling it up. I learned that technique from a Bernard Clayton recipe in his excellent bread baking book. It helps keep the bread from separating along the swirls.

I baked my Lime-Pecan Biscotti on Friday. I developed this butter-free recipe that uses oil and a bit of buttermilk along with the eggs, and I make it with 2/3 white whole wheat. I used limes from my lime tree and pecans my younger stepson and his fiancee sent us at Christmas from Alabama where they visited some of her family.

BakerAunt
                        Participant

I baked a new recipe on Saturday: Leimsamenbrot or Flax Meal bread. See the separate thread for the details.

Joan Simpson
                          Participant

Thanks for the info on spritzing the cinnamon bread BakerAunt.My bread tasted very good and had just a little separating on the very top edge.

Mike Nolan
                            Keymaster

I find that making a compound butter with the sugar and cinnamon and spreading it on is far better than brushing on melted butter then trying to get an even layer of cinnamon sugar on top, and less messy, too. And I haven't had it separate once.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.