What are You Baking the Week of February 2, 2020?

Home Forums Baking — Breads and Rolls What are You Baking the Week of February 2, 2020?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 39 total)
  • Author
    BakerAunt
    Participant

For Sunday breakfast, I made pancakes using 1 ½ cups of the free Bob’s Red Mill pancake mix I received. I mixed it with 1 cup of quick oats and 1 ½ cups water. These came out well, and we liked having the added oats.

Spread the word
      BakerAunt
      Participant

My sourdough starter is out of the refrigerator and coming to room temperature on the counter. Dinner on Monday will be Sourdough Crust Sheet Pan Pizza, topped with cherry tomatoes, cooked ground turkey, red bell pepper, Baby Bella Mushrooms, and mozzarella and Parmesan cheese. I may try to put green onion on my half.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 3 months ago by BakerAunt. Reason: added missing ingredient
        Mike Nolan
        Keymaster

I had some left over pie dough from my apple pies, so I blind baked it and I'm making a small sour cream raisin pie today, with Italian meringue.

Mike Nolan
          Keymaster

My impromptu sour cream raisin pie came out pretty good. The recipe I was using was for a 9" pie and I had enough left over pie dough for an 8" blind baked pie. So I cut the recipe by a third, except for the egg yolk, which I left the same since I wanted 3 egg whites worth of meringue, and the cinnamon, which I doubled. I also substituted nutmeg for ground clove. My wife's only comment on taste was that she thought it could have used more sour cream, which I agreed with. I think she was disappointed I used an Italian meringue, which doesn't weep. (She likes the brown droplets from the weeping, I don't, and I took this as an opportunity to practice making an Italian meringue.)

sour-cream-raisin-pie2

sour-cream-raisin-pie

Attachments:
            You must be logged in to view attached files.
            RiversideLen
            Participant

Mike, I never had that kind of pie but it looks good, I'll take a slice.

BakerAunt
              Participant

I'm not a meringue fan, but that pie is stunning!

chocomouse
                Participant

I made apricot cream scones from KAF. I made these to try out some whole wheat pastry flour that I was gifted for Christmas. They are OK, a bit dry and tasteless. I have a similar recipe that calls for cream cheese and butter, although about half the amounts KAF calls for, therefore lower in fat, but it uses AP flour and is much more tasty. I think I'll find another use for the whole wheat pastry flour.

RiversideLen
                  Participant

I made my buns, again with buttermilk but this time I did not add any baking soda. The oven spring, while very nice and good enough, was not as robust. But it really doesn't matter as it is sufficient. So I would say the baking soda when used with buttermilk in a yeast dough does have an affect.

I made half traditional shape with KAF Everything Bagel topping and half with the basket weave.

buns

Attachments:
                    You must be logged in to view attached files.
                    Mike Nolan
                    Keymaster

There's a rye-raisin scone recipe in the Ginsberg book, I may do that one soon. I need to make some lighter/sweeter breads after the Frisian black bread.

BakerAunt
                      Participant

Wonderful Buns, Len, as always!

Mike Nolan
                        Keymaster

Len, apologies if I've asked this before, but do you have a link to the basket weave you use for your buns? I've tried searching for it, but I mostly get pictures of a woman's hair.

Joan Simpson
                          Participant

Mike your pie looks very good,I've never had that pie but I love meringue and that's awesome it doesn't weep,mine does.

Len your buns are beautiful!

Mike Nolan
                            Keymaster

Italian meringue isn't hard to make, you make a hot sugar syrup (240 degrees F, though I just wait until it starts to thicken up), pour it slowly into the whipped egg whites, then re-whip a bit longer (they may deflate a bit due to the sugar syrup, but they'll rebound quickly), usually adding some more sugar. Some recipes have you add some corn starch to the sugar syrup, as best I can tell, mostly what it does is tell you when the syrup is sufficiently cooked, since the corn starch will turn clear then.

Be careful not to add too much sugar to the re-whipped egg whites or the meringue will be overly sweet, since there's already sugar in the sugar syrup. And the best part is that since the egg whites are now fully cooked, you can lick the bowl to your heart's content.

Swiss meringue is a bit trickier, though if you've made 7 minute frosting, you've basically already made it.

RiversideLen
                              Participant

Mike, I went nuts trying to find it too, but then I searched this site and found I had posted it before. Of course it's easier when doing a full size loaf, you have to be a little crazy to do it for buns or dinner rolls, which I have done. Doing it for buns involves making strands about 15 - 16 grams and smaller for dinner rolls, but here it is,

Thanks Joan and BakerAunt 🙂 I have to admit, the basket weave is my favorite.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 2 months ago by RiversideLen.
                                skeptic7
                                Participant

Mike, thats a beautiful pie. I wish I could eat a piece. I don't remember every eating a sour cream - raisin pie, and I certainly haven't cooked one.

Len; your buns look so tasty, especially the basket weave. Do you make them into sandwiches with roast beef and onions?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 39 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.