What are You Baking the Week of August 6, 2023?

Home Forums Baking — Breads and Rolls What are You Baking the Week of August 6, 2023?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    BakerAunt
    Participant

I baked Ginger Peach Oat Muffins for breakfast on Sunday, using a recipe that I discovered last year and adapted. The original recipe uses cinnamon and nutmeg, but I wanted a different flavor combination, so I used ½ tsp. ginger and 1/3 cup candied ginger. I think that the muffins could have used a bit more ginger, so when I bake this version again, I will increase it. The guy at the corner stand, where we bought them last week, said the peaches came from Michigan, and they are lovely--freestone and easily peeled.

In the afternoon, I made dough for my Whole Wheat Sourdough Cheese Crackers. I will bake them later in the week.

Spread the word
      BakerAunt
      Participant

We were almost out of bread, so on Monday I baked Pumpkin=Rye-Whole Wheat Bread, a recipe that I adapted from Jane Brody's Good Food Gourmet (pp. 416-417). I use buttermilk rather than regular milk, reduce the molasses from ½ to 1/3 cup, reduce the salt from 1 Tbs. to 2 ¼ tsp., used a combination of BRM dark rye and King Arthur Pumpernickel, added special dry milk, replaced 4 Tbs. butter with olive oil, and replaced half of the AP flour with whole wheat and the other half with BRM artisan bread flour. I also add ½ cup of mixed grains--in this case barley, rye, and oats. I found that the dough was a bit too much for two 8x4 pans, so I bake it as two 9x5 loaves. That makes them not as high but wider. Essentially, it is now my recipe. One reason I chose this recipe is that I need to make freezer space for green beans, so that means I need to use some of my supply of frozen pumpkin.

chocomouse
        Participant

I made another batch of the lemon cookies -- for my husband to take to a meeting tonight. From now on, I'm going to double the recipe!

BakerAunt
          Participant

I have been wanting to try some kind of oatmeal zucchini cookie that does not use butter. I found two recipes and decided to try this one on Wednesday:

I followed the recipe except for adding 1 Tbs. Bob's Red Mill milk powder and 1 Tbs. flax meal. I got 12 cookies rather than 18, although I used my 1/4 cup scoop. I'm not sure how to describe the cookies. They are more like little cakes with a firmer outside. My husband and I agreed that they need more spice, so if I bake them again, I will double the cinnamon and add 1/4 tsp. nutmeg. They are low in sugar and completely wholegrain, but I will not rush to bake this recipe again.

BakerAunt
            Participant

Quick note: the zucchini oatmeal cookies were much better the second day.

On Saturday, I baked my Whole Wheat Sourdough Cheese Crackers from dough that I made earlier in the week.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.