What are You Baking the Week of August 5, 2018?

Home Forums Baking — Breads and Rolls What are You Baking the Week of August 5, 2018?

Viewing 2 posts - 16 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    BakerAunt
    Participant

On Saturday, I again baked Bernard Clayton’s Dark Grains Bread. This time, I used 3 ¾ tsp. yeast and 2 ¼ tsp. salt. I again used 1 ½ cups buttermilk. I tried soaking the wheat germ and buckwheat in the buttermilk while I proofed the yeast with a bit of the honey. I then added the rest of the honey and the buttermilk mixture, mixing with the flat beater of my 7-quart Cuisinart. One cup at a time, I beat in the 3 cups of whole wheat flour. I removed the paddle and allowed the dough to sit for 15 minutes. I then added 2 Tbs. melted butter around the edges of the dough in the bowl, before adding 1 ½ cups of bread flour with the salt—half at a time—using the kneading hook on speed 2, and stopping to use the scraper into all the flour was incorporated. I then kneaded at speed 3 for 5 minutes. It looked risen at 55 minutes, so I de-gassed it and pre-shaped two loaves, then let rest 5 minutes before final shaping and panning. I preheated the oven after 15 minutes, as the rise was going quickly. After 35 minutes, I put the bread into the oven. I checked it at 45 minutes (5 minutes earlier than the recipe states), and it registered 205F. There is a bit of “dimpling” on the top, but less pronounced than last time. It may be that is a feature in a 75% whole grain bread. I'll add a note on taste and texture after we cut into it tomorrow. As soon as I am satisfied with my version of this recipe, I will post it at Nebraska Kitchen.

• This reply was modified 5 years, 8 months ago by BakerAunt. Reason: fixed typo
      Mike Nolan
      Keymaster

Chocomouse, have you looked at making a cinnamon crumb cake? That can give you the flavor profile of a cinnamon roll in a cake form.

Viewing 2 posts - 16 through 17 (of 17 total)
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.