What are you Baking the week of April 5, 2020?

Home Forums Baking — Breads and Rolls What are you Baking the week of April 5, 2020?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 43 total)
  • Author
    Italiancook
    Participant

I baked my dad's Peach Cobbler, using frozen peaches from the store. If I had a plethora of peaches, I wouldn't have frozen them. I would have eaten and cobblered them.

BakerAunt
      Participant

We had no peaches last year, Italian Cook, due to that "polar vortex" that destoyed the crop in Michigan as well as Indiana. I was able, two years ago, to get some "ugly" peaches from a local honey producer who does not spray her peaches. They made fantastic jam. However, the lovely ones from Michigan two years ago I ate in all their untouched splendor.

RiversideLen
        Participant

My neighbor and me both have a peach tree. The peaches they produce are pretty small and spotted. Last year neither one of us had any peaches. Hopefully this year will be better.

Mike Nolan
          Keymaster

I'm making semolina bread today, including 3 small burger buns. If they come out well, I plan to have burgers on the grill for supper, before the weather turns cooler for Easter weekend.

I still haven't made the boxed brownie mix I got out the other day.

chocomouse
            Participant

I made chocolate chip cookies today. Yesterday I made buns - 6 hamburger and 6 hot dogs.

BakerAunt
              Participant

Today I baked the Barley-Rye Crispbread that is becoming a standard for me. I thought of trying that rye cracker recipe from the Swedish book (Fika), but it is more complicated than this recipe. I’ll put that off for another time.

chocomouse
                Participant

I am baking corn bread, the sweet "northern" kind. Although it is not really sweet; I use 1/4 cup of sugar (sometimes honey or maple syrup) to go with 1 cup stone ground corn meal and 1 cup flour.

skeptic7
                  Participant

I am doing a chicken pot pie -- well actually three individual ones. This is a new variation, I am using some mole verde concentrate which I bought from the store as the main flavoring ingredient and having onions, celery and sweet peppers as the vegetables. I am using an oil based pie crust as the topping, but since I love pie crust its rather thick.

Italiancook
                    Participant

I had a sugar craving after I closed down the kitchen for the night. So I made the easiest brownie recipe I have. When I was a newlywed, I made it often, because I didn't have any other recipes. Now, I make it only when I need a quick sugar fix.

Italiancook
                      Participant

Mike, I'm signed it, and the edit button is missing from my previous post. I forgot to mention that I'm making pizza for dinner tonight, using KAF Now or Later pizza crust recipe. A cheese pizza. No fresh veggies.

BakerAunt
                        Participant

It's Good Friday, so I am making Hot Cross Buns. These are my own wholegrain version, and I think that I have the recipe fine-tuned now. I use the Zo bread maker to do the mixing and kneading, and it handled the amount of dough well. I kneaded in golden raisins after the first rise, and I'm waiting on the second rise, in our somewhat cold house before they go into the oven.

Mike Nolan
                          Keymaster

I, too, made Hot Cross Buns today, two 8" pans of them, 16 small rolls (1.5 ounces each) per pan. I'm going to call our neighbor and offer them one, but won't feel insulted if they decline.

Mike Nolan
                            Keymaster

I'm stumped on the no edit button problem. Try logging off and back on.

chocomouse
                              Participant

I made two whole grain sandwich loaves today. They took forever to rise because the house was chilly. We got a little snow early this morning, but it didn't amount to much.

skeptic7
                                Participant

I've started my Hot Cross Bun recipe too. This is from the NY Times cookbook and I've made it since I've been in High School. Its the most elaborate of my recipes and I always do it as the culmination of the Hot Cross bun season. Its a soft dough now, and will be refrigerated overnight. Tomorrow I'll knead it, adding more flour as necessary and shape it into buns. The baking will be either Saturday or Sunday depending on how it rises. This uses 8 cups of flour so makes quite a few buns.
                                  BakerAunt; how many Hot Cross Buns are you making?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 43 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.