What are You Baking the Week of April 29, 2018?

Home Forums Baking — Breads and Rolls What are You Baking the Week of April 29, 2018?

Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    BakerAunt
    Participant

A note on those Roasted Strawberry Cream Cheese Rolls: The filling is not quite ready for prime time. I had read the seven reviews, and yes, that filling is VERY difficult to get rolled into the dough, and even more difficult to cut. I had roasted the strawberries longer to see if that helped; maybe it did, but it was one of those times when I told my husband: do not talk to me while I'm doing this; I'm trying to keep from swearing. Alas, one such word did get out. I did get the buns into the pan, they rose, I baked them, and they are now cooling. I just hope the filling isn't stuck all over the pan. I'll report back tomorrow.

It may be that I and some of the others who had a problem mashed the strawberries too much. Or maybe the filling would work better if it were cold. Maybe it depends on how juicy the strawberries are. If my husband and I like the taste, I'll have to see if I can figure out how to make the filling work. Any suggestions?

Wonky--I'm in northern Indiana, about an hour south of South Bend. You are always welcome to show up on my doorstep with your mixer. I would LOVE to have a Bakefest with you and watch our mixers go dough hook to dough hook. And once the kitchen remodel is complete, there would even be room for two bakers at once!

BakerAunt
      Participant

deleting double post--How did that happen?

• This reply was modified 5 years, 11 months ago by BakerAunt.
        Mike Nolan
        Keymaster

It's not too hard to create duplicate posts, especially if you hit the submit button more than once. (And most computers will occasionally mis-interpret a keyboard press, resulting in a double submit even if you don't hit the key twice. Things like credit card processing systems try to check for this, but I don't think WordPress does.)

BakerAunt
          Participant

I'm relieved to report that the strawberry filling did not stick to the pan. I adapted the recipe from the Dark and Dangerous Cinnamon buns by making a thin frosting of 1 cup powdered sugar, a pinch of salt, 1 Tbs. melted butter, 1/2 tsp. vanilla, and 3 Tbs. of heavy cream. I divided it among the rolls, plopping it in the center, then spread it. That works well, although I can see why the cream cheese frosting would be good on these.

The Roasted Strawberry Cream Cheese Rolls have a tart filling, which we like, and it did firm up when baked. Part of the problem that I had rolling the filling up inside is that it is rolled up on the 17-inch side, and it is hard to control the tightness of the rolling in the center area with such a goopy filling. My worst ones--the ones that were hard to keep together and get into the pan, were just to the right of the center when I cut them into 12-pieces (using dental floss, of course). Perhaps making two rectangles, along the long side, so each is 8 1/2 inches, would make it easier to roll (keeping the same width for number of turns).

I'd like to bake these again--but with less drama in working with the filling. The dough makes for a nice, tender roll.

• This reply was modified 5 years, 11 months ago by BakerAunt.
            • This reply was modified 5 years, 11 months ago by BakerAunt. Reason: clarity
            • This reply was modified 5 years, 11 months ago by BakerAunt. Reason: additional idea
            wonky
            Participant

BakerAunt.. a new kitchen should be properly baptized with flour...I googled the distance from Loyal, Wi to South Bend...about 400 miles...YIKES...but it would be totally worth it.

skeptic7
              Participant

On Friday May 4th stretching into the early hours of Saturday I made King Arthur Flour breakfast cookies with oatmeal, cranberries and walnuts. This made 29 tasty cookies about two sheets worth. I made this as a present since it was tasty and sturdy enough not to crumble if eaten in the car.
                I also made a double recipe of a quick bread and baked it in a 9X13 pan. This was easier than baking it in two pans but its rather short, might have made prettier slices if I had used a triple recipe. The bread was date orange and I normally bake this recipe in a 8inch cast iron frying pan and cut in wedges.
                I had the idea for the pan from this site
                http://heidimix.blogspot.com/2014/05/quick-bread-for-crowd.html

Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.