Truly awful rolls

Home Forums Baking — Breads and Rolls Truly awful rolls

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Mike Nolan
    Keymaster

We were at a catered wedding yesterday, and the food was pretty much the standard steam table fare, mostly overcooked by then, but the dinner rolls were some of the worst breads I've ever tasted. There was a whole wheat/multigrain one that was somewhat edible, but the white rolls were just terrible.

I mentioned to my wife that I didn't know how to make a dinner roll that bad. She said she hoped I never learn!

Spread the word
      Joan Simpson
      Participant

So sad that they paid lots of money for that food.

skeptic7
        Participant

After going to cooking so much whole wheat I am finding regular white rolls far too soft. Trader Joe's had some French Milk bread rolls "Pain au Lait" which were tasty but very very soft.

Mike Nolan
          Keymaster

There's a whole class of recipes for very soft rolls, often called pillow rolls. I used to eat at a Ryan's Steakhouse in TN when I was there for work, they had these really soft (and quite tasty) pillow rolls that had a honey-butter glaze on them.

Mike Nolan
            Keymaster

Most catered events like weddings serve food that is of at-best average quality. That's especially true if the food is brought in to the hall, the kitchens for hotel events tend to be slightly higher quality, but generally still not great. Part of it is that producing large numbers of meals served at the same time requires some compromises in the kitchen.

But there are exceptions. Years ago my wife went to a national conference for her sorority, at a hotel in Minneapolis. She said the meals were so good that when the chef came out at the last event, he got a standing ovation.

I've only been to one catered event that had a truly outstanding meal, it was the bar mitzvah dinner for the son of a business associate of my wife's father, held at the old Cafe La Tour Restaurant in Chicago, on the top level of a Mies van der Rohe designed high-rise on the shore of Lake Michigan just north of the Loop.

We lost count of the number of courses at around 10, and they were still bringing out additional rounds of desserts as we were leaving.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.