Sweet Roll Experiment

Home Forums Baking — Breads and Rolls Sweet Roll Experiment

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    BakerAunt
    Participant

I have 2 cups of frozen blueberry pie filling that I have thawed. I want to try it as a filling for sweet rolls. Any suggestions on what sweet roll recipe would make a good base? I'm thinking of doing a half recipe of Wonky's Amish Bread (as used for cinnamon swirl bread). I also have a blueberry sweet roll recipe that makes 20, and I could use that one. If I don't use all the filling, I'm sure my husband will have no problem eating it on his oatmeal in the morning.

Spread the word
      • This topic was modified 7 years, 9 months ago by BakerAunt.
      Mike Nolan
      Keymaster

I'd suggest you try a babka recipe. It's usually filled with chocolate, but I've made it with a fruit filling and it was pretty good. It has the advantage of not being overly sweet, so it doesn't compete with a sweet filling.

BakerAunt
        Participant

Mike--if I had read your answer before I started the dough, I would have followed your suggestion. I did use a sweet roll dough that is not overly sweet and has some whole wheat flour, and the pie filling is one that I made, and so is not too sweet. I'll report on how it comes out.

BakerAunt
          Participant

These sweet rolls are wonderful. The original recipe used fresh blueberries pressed into the dough, and it can be a struggle keeping them all in--along with the spice-sugar filling. While the pie filling was a bit messy--and I worried about it soaking the dough--it was actually less messy than the other method. I did crowd the 20 rolls into a 13x9 inch pan, so that may have also kept the contents together. The blueberry pie filling did not leak through the sides.

I also altered the dough recipe by using buttermilk for a cup of the water and substituting in 2 Tbs. of honey for 2 Tbs. of the 1/4 cup of sugar. I also added 2 Tbs. flax meal. I want to see if the honey and buttermilk will keep the rolls softer longer.

My husband had two, after his oatmeal this morning. He is off to the woods to work. I had three, so the dog and I did a one hour walk before the heat and humidity set in, and I'll be eating a light lunch.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.