Participant

Swedish Coffee Bread
      Submitted by beabaker on November 13, 2002 at 2:28 pm

DESCRIPTION
      Swedish Coffee Bread

SUMMARY

Yield 0 File under Family / Ethnic / Regional
      INSTRUCTIONS
      This recipe was given to me by my MIL - she's 100% swedish. I give this at Christmas instead of cookies, because it's different and delicious. It can also be made ahead and frozen or if given fresh, they can freeze it until they need it. I attach a tag that says "Swedish Coffee Bread Made by the ______ family, Most delicious when toasted and buttered! I made a couple of additions to my MIL's recipe - I love cinnamon, so I put some in the batter. I hope you enjoy this as much as we do. The house will smell heavenly when you make it.

1/2 cup margerine
      1 1/2 cups milk - scalded (I heat mine in microwave 2-3 minutes)
      1/2 cup sugar
      1 teaspoon salt
      2 yeast packets
      2 eggs beaten
      1/2 teaspoon cardamom
      5 1/2 - 6 cups flour
      1/2 cup warm water
      1 tablespoon cinnamon (optional)
      sugar & cinnamon for topping

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Mix water with yeast and a pinch of sugar and proof. Heat margerine and milk until hot/scalded. Pour over sugar and salt in mixing bowl and let cool slightly. Whip eggs in bowl and add to mixing bowl. Pour in proofed yeast and mix. Add Cardamom and cinnamon. Add flour until smooth.

Let rise in greased bowl 45min. - 1 hour. Pinch down and let rise again. Divide dough and form three braids (some people do two). Put braids on greased pan or baking stone. Let rise 20 min. - 1/2 hour.

Melt some butter and brush breads. Mix some sugar and cinnamon together and sprinkle on top. Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes(or until nice dark golden on top).

Divide entire batch of dough into three chunks (slightly smaller loaves) or two chunks. Then divide each chunk into three small pieces. Roll each piece into a thick snake and then connect the three at the top and braid.

Cinnamon in dough is optional or add as much as you prefer. I set up all my ingredients for 4 batches in bowls and get everything proofing, then I just heat milk, etc. in microwave while I'm throwing the next batch together. It goes very quickly and I'm able to make 10-12 loaves at a time! I must also admit, a couple of times, I didn't have the time to do the second rising in the bowl, just the first and then divide and braid, then let rise before baking - the flavor is definitely better with the two risings though, but if your in a jam it might make it easier for you.

Enjoy and let me know what you think!

Spread the word
    Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.