Substitute for Kellog’s Bran Buds Thread

Home Forums Threads Saved from the KAF Baking Circle Substitute for Kellog’s Bran Buds Thread

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    BakerAunt
    Participant

Substitute for Kellogg's Bran Buds

In my quest to find more recipes that employ some buckwheat flour, I found one for Low-Cholesterol Buckwheat and Bran Muffins. However, it calls for Kellogg's Bran Buds). I am wondering if I can substitute some proportion of regular bran. The only processed bran cereal I have is Wheat Chex (and that is on hand for Party Mix), but I could use it if necessary. Here is the list of ingredients:
      3/4 C apple juice
      1/2 C plain nonfat yogurt
      1/2 C applesauce
      1 C morsels of wheat bran cereal (Kellogg's Bran buds)
      2 egg whites (I would use a whole egg.)
      1 C. all-purpose flour
      1/3 C. buckwheat flour
      1/4 C. sugar
      1 Tbs. baking powder
      1 tsp. baking soda
      1 1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
      3/4 tsp. ground nutmeg

Note: The juice, yogurt, and applesauce are stirred together. Then they are stirred into the cereal which is set aside for 5 minutes.
      I think that I might also cut down the spices. Thanks for any suggestions.
      posted by: bakeraunt on May 05, 2014 at 12:15 am in General discussions

reply by: sarahh on May 05, 2014 at 9:48 am
      I'd be interested in that too - I have a pumpkin bran muffin recipe that calls for the bran buds. I buy them, but I wondered if I could substitute something.
      The buds are sweet, so you would lose some sweetness unless you increased the sugar in the recipe. Most bran muffins are pretty sweet, so that might not be a bad thing.
      I think regular bran would fill the cup more densely, so you might not need a full cup to replace the cup of buds.
      I wonder if you could find bran muffin recipes that called for regular bran and see what the proportions were to use for reference in this recipe.
      I hope someone has more ideas! 🙂

reply by: Mike Nolan on May 05, 2014 at 12:09 pm
      Here's what in Bran Buds:
      #
      Wheat bran, sugar, psyllium seed husk, oat fiber, contains 2% or less of salt, baking soda, caramel color, annatto color, BHT for freshness.
      #
      I'm sure the bran has been ground up, mixed with the other ingredients, and baked, so using just wheat bran is a big change.

reply by: bakeraunt on May 05, 2014 at 5:37 pm
      Yes, I knew that it would not work to substitute 1:1 with bran buds and unprocessed bran. I did some looking on line and did not find any suggestions. However, I am considering replacing the Bran Buds with Grape Nuts. Clearly that will change the recipe, since Grape Nuts are not bran, but it might still be an interesting muffin.
      #
      I really hate recipes that throw in one odd ingredient that I would likely rarely use.

reply by: Mike Nolan on May 05, 2014 at 5:49 pm
      It probably wasn't an 'odd ingredient' to the person who developed the recipe. I think a lot of those recipes started out with "Put whatever you have in the cupboard in a bowl...." 🙂
      #
      My wife won't eat Grape Nuts, so we seldom have them on hand. (I like them, so if there's a box in the cupboard, it generally does get eaten.) She didn't care for the Grape Nuts bread, either, not surprisingly.

reply by: bakeraunt on May 05, 2014 at 6:05 pm
      I seem to recall that unprocessed bran was not so easily available in the heyday of processed cereals, so Bran Buds, All Bran, Raisin Bran ruled the breakfast table and the muffin ingredients. My favorite bran muffin uses unprocessed bran, so that is what I have on hand.
      #
      I like Grape Nuts--for breakfast or in that wonderful Grape Nuts Bread, and I have at least one muffin recipe that uses them. It is more of a cupboard staple for me. I will give them a try in the recipe and see how it turns out.

reply by: topshelfsweets on May 15, 2014 at 10:03 am
      You might also try Kellogg's All Bran. While they are longer sticks, a few spins in the food processor will crush them nicely. I have good results using them in bran muffins.

Spread the word
      • This topic was modified 7 years, 10 months ago by BakerAunt.
      • This topic was modified 7 years, 10 months ago by BakerAunt.
    Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.