Sourdough vs sourfaux

Home Forums Baking — Breads and Rolls Sourdough vs sourfaux

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Mike Nolan
    Keymaster

I can't post a link because it's behind a paywall, but the Times of London has an interesting article on a movement in the UK to prevent mass-produced breads using additives and baker's yeast being labeled as 'sourdough'.

Five baking trade associations have come up with a proposed "UK Baking Industry Code of Practice for the Labelling of Sourdough Bread and Roll".

Spread the word
      BakerAunt
      Participant

I've seen a faux sourdough advertised as a special kind of yeast in Bake magazine. Red Star makes it: Platinum Instant Sourdough Yeast. They claim it has a sourdough culture added to it.

Mike Nolan
        Keymaster

The concern in the UK is more over mass-produced loaves that use additives to create a sour taste and baker's yeast as the primary leavening. Some of the food chains sell them as 'artisan' loaves. There was a movement in the UK earlier to try to define what 'artisan bread' meant, they couldn't agree on it.

This is more than just a big vs little battle, the reason sourdough has a lower glycemic index is that the long time it takes for the wild yeast to produce sufficient leavening allows time for enzymes to convert much of the starch into forms that aren't absorbed as quickly. People who buy the sourfaux loaves expecting the lower glycemic index are being ripped off.

BakerAunt
          Participant

Hmm- The UK couldn't agree on Artisan Bread. That's no surprise given the disagreement over Brexit.

I doubt that the faux sourdough even tastes that good. In bread baking, most shortcuts are a bad idea. That's why I will not even consider the Red Star product.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 5 months ago by BakerAunt.
          Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.