Sour Cream Raisin Cookies by Beachdee

Home Forums Recipes Sour Cream Raisin Cookies by Beachdee

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    BakerAunt
    Participant

COOKIES/BARS Sour Cream Raisin
      Submitted by beachdee on November 09, 2010 at 5:57 pm

An old-fashioned sort of cookie from my childhood.

Note: My mom usually used half butter & half Crisco, but I recommend using whatever fat you are most comfortable with (e.g., I personally don't "do" Crisco or any other margarine any more, which of course changes the texture but what the hey)

Also, I have not made these in a bazillion years, but remember them with fondness from when I was a kid.

• 3 cups all-purpose flour
      • 1 teaspoon baking powder
      • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
      • 1/2 teaspoon salt
      • 1 cup butter/shortening, softened
      • 1 1/2 cups white sugar
      • 2 eggs
      • 1 cup sour cream
      • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
      • 1 cup raisins
      • 1/2 cup white sugar
      • 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
      • 1/8 tsp ground nutmeg (optional)

Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C). Lightly grease baking sheets or use parchment paper.

In a large bowl, beat the butter or margarine, 1 1/2 cups sugar, eggs, and vanilla until fluffy.

Sift together flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.

At low speed if using a power mixer, beat sour cream into the egg mixture. Gradually beat in the flour until well mixed. Mix in raisins by hand.

Refrigerate the dough for 1 hour.

Meanwhile, mix 1/2 cup white sugar with the ground cinnamon and nutmeg.

Drop spoonfuls of dough ~2 inches apart on the prepared baking sheets and sprinkle with the sugar-spice mixture.

Bake for 10 to 12 minutes or until barely beginning to turn golden brown around edges (should still be mostly pale). Remove from sheet and cool on a wire rack.

OPTION: Try soaking the raisins in a mix of hot water and rum for a bit before adding, then stir carefully so they don't get too mushed up...will leave the ratio up to your discretion and taste 😉 This will of course make the raisins softer and the cookie moister. Perhaps try half and half and see which is preferred?!

Spread the word
    Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.