Six-Week Muffins by Beachdee

Home Forums Recipes Six-Week Muffins by Beachdee

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    BakerAunt
    Participant

MUFFIN: Six-Week Muffins
      Submitted by beachdee on January 17, 2011 at 8:12 pm

This batter will keep in the refrigerator for 6 weeks, ready to be scooped and baked for fiber-rich, tasty muffins at a moment's notice. Feel free to substitute your favorite dried fruits, but they're awfully good just as they are (obviously I'm a date-lover!) See NOTE at end of instructions.

Also -- great Gift idea: simply make up a batch, put some in a suitable container, print out the recipe in a nice format, embellish (or not) as you please (e.g., gather up in a nice dishtowel like a hobo sack and tie with a ribbon), and there you have it.

Source: Mom, who probably got it from the newspaper or a friend; possibly from a bran cereal

● 2 cups bran flakes (e.g., 40% Bran, if you can find it, or a raisin-bran cereal)
      ● 4 cups All-Bran cereal
      ● 2 cups chopped walnuts
      ● 2 cups chopped dates
      ● 5 tsp soda
      ● 2 cups boiling water
      ● 1 cup shortening (I only use butter, or butter/walnut oil mix)
      ● 2 cups sugar (I use somewhat less; keep in mind that the commercial raisin bran flakes and all-bran cereal already have plenty of sugar in them)
      ● 4 eggs
      ● 1 quart buttermilk
      ● 5 cups flour
      ● 1 Tblsp salt

1) Combine the 2 bran cereals, nuts, and dates (or other dried fruit) in a large (at least 10-quart) container/bowl and set aside.

2) Add soda to boiling water and let cool.

3) Cream shortening and sugar in a large mixer bowl. Add eggs, blend well.

4) Stir in buttermilk, flour, and salt. Add soda water.

5) Stir liquid ingredients (buttermilk/flour, etc. mixture) into the dry ingredients (bran, nuts, fruit) until blended.

6) Fill muffin cups 2/3 full. Bake at 400°F for 20 to 25 minutes.

7) Store remaining batter in the refrigerator, for up to 6 weeks.

NOTE: northernbaker (see comment below) had a great suggestion for an alternative way with this recipe:
      "We love them with dates and pecans the best but have added all kinds of fruits depending on my guest desire. Make the batter but wait until you go to bake them and add fruit only to the batter the you intend to bake that day so each time you bake them the fruit can be different."

comments
      Submitted by newmoon111 on Thu, 2011-01-20 23:27.
      Love these. Lost the recipe years ago!! Thanks for posting.

Submitted by Morgana on Fri, 2011-01-21 16:06.
      They sound yummmmmmy!

Submitted by northernbaker on Fri, 2011-01-21 22:57.
      We love these muffins. They are rich, moist, and packed with great flavor. I have made these for years. I don't know where I got the recipe. We love them with dates and pecans the best but have added all kinds of fruits depending on my guest desire. Make the batter but wait until you go to bake them and add fruit only to the batter the you intend to bake that day so each time you bake them the fruit can be different. I always have tons of visitor in the summer. I keep this batter ready for an easy wonderful breakfast or even a snack. Everyone loves them and can't wait until they come out of the over. Happy baking.

Submitted by beachdee on Fri, 2011-01-21 23:15.
      Love your idea about waiting to add the fruit/nuts so can vary the taste from baking to baking...I'll add that to the notes/instructions in case not everyone reads the responses (and give you credit!). I do that with my presoaked/batch-cooked oatmeal that I eat nearly every morning, so not sure why it didn't occur to me, so I'm glad you mentioned it!

Submitted by dlewis@shadylane.net on Sat, 2011-01-22 19:52.
      Thanks for posting this recipe. I have used a similar recipe in the past but it called for 2 medium bananas, mashed and added along with the wet ingredients; in addition, I used white whole wheat flour... I think I'll make a batch right now.

Submitted by beachdee on Sun, 2011-01-23 02:44.
      I posted the recipe as it was on the old recipe card, but if I were to make a batch now I'd for sure substitute whole wheat, spelt, and/or some barley flour in. I'm sure the white whole wheat would work great. Mashed banana might make a nice alternative recipe, adding more flavor and nutrition, and "playing nicely" with the dates.

Submitted by hill country gal on Sun, 2011-01-23 15:39.
      I make a similar muffin found on the KAF, King Arthur Flour website: Zella Lane's 2-Week Bran Muffins. Check the KAF blog, too. I substitute unsweetened applesauce or mashed banana for half the oil. And I use less sugar, like maybe half. Whatever amount of sugar I use, I make it half white sugar and half light or dark brown sugar. Try currants and/or dried cranberries (snipped in half), too. It's a family favorite!

Spread the word
    Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.