Single Loaf Bread Recipes

Home Forums Baking โ€” Breads and Rolls Single Loaf Bread Recipes

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    BakerAunt
    Participant

When I'm on vacation, I have only a bread machine for kneading, so I need single loaf recipes. I have discovered, for those of you who have The Baking Sheet (the small ones on manila paper--my issues start with September-October 1997) that there are a lot of single loaf recipes, as it was the heyday of the bread machine. Usually the writers give directions for conventional mixing and baking as well.

This week I baked a Honey Oatmeal Bread (Autumn 1997, p. 17) that is excellent--with a few changes from the original recipe, of course. ๐Ÿ™‚

I used a cup plus 2 Tbs. of buttermilk in place of some of the water (and soaked the oats in it first) and deleted the special dry milk. I reduced the honey from 3 to 2 Tbs. (we do not like overly sweet bread but if using the optional currents, I'd leave it at 3 Tbs.) and the yeast from 2 1/4 tsp. to 2 tsp., since KAF always seems to me to use too much yeast in most of their breads. I also substituted in 1/2 cup whole wheat flour. Initially, I thought the dough was too dry, so I added a Tbs. of water--a rookie mistake that I'm embarrassed to admit I made--I've added a note to let it alone next time. I also added a 10 minute rest after the first rise, since the rest of the flour is bread flour. It made a lovely soft bread, even though the dough was a bit too wet. As soon as this loaf is eaten, I will try the recipe again.

Spread the word
      BakerAunt
      Participant

I made the Honey-Oatmeal bread again this afternoon. I made the same changes as last time but reduced the salt to 1 1/8 tsp. and did not add any more liquid. I did add a bit more flour (about 1 Tbs.). As before, the bread had a very fast second rise (25 minutes). I think that it needs 1-2 Tbs. more of bread flour (in spite of the fact that I use just 2 Tbs. honey rather than 3), but this loaf has better structure than the first one and was easier to shape. I'll add a note tomorrow on the crumb.

• This reply was modified 7 years, 9 months ago by BakerAunt.
        BakerAunt
        Participant

The crumb is not as loose as the first loaf, which makes it easier to slice. I like the taste.

I'm wondering if bread machine recipes, particularly older ones, tended to use more yeast and more water than non-bread machine recipes. Any thoughts?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.