Scandanavian Crisp Bread

Home Forums Baking — Breads and Rolls Scandanavian Crisp Bread

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    BakerAunt
    Participant

I found a recipe in the original King Arthur Flour Cookbook (200th Anniversary one) for Scandinavian Crisp Bread and decided to try it. It's a quick bread, in that it uses baking powder, baking soda, and buttermilk along with some butter and salt. It is half rye flour and half AP, with optional caraway (I used) or dill seeds. It is very quick to make. The dough goes together quickly, is divided, then sits covered for an hour before being rolled out 1/4-inch thick (recipe said 1/4-1/2 inch thick) into about a 10-inch square. I went ahead and used a pizza cutter to mark divisions into 16-20 pieces. It baked at 400F for 20 minutes.

It is not a "crisp bread" but a soft flat bread. My husband snacked on a piece, and I had some for breakfast this morning. It's a great little recipe, and I can see serving it with cheese or meat or a comparable spread. However, they are great without any topping. It would be great for a party bread tray, and the bonus is that it is easy and quick.

Spread the word
      Italiancook
      Participant

Thanks, BakerAunt, for telling us about this recipe. I have buttermilk I need to use up. I was on the KAF a week or so ago looking for buttermilk recipes. This one didn't come up. Or, if it did, I didn't have time to search long enough to find it. I'll check their website for this recipe. Probably won't make it with the bottle of buttermilk I have now, as I don't stock rye flour. I love rye bread; I just have never tried making it. The recipe you told us about sounds like a good way to delve into using rye flour. Thanks for including serving ideas and info about the texture.

BakerAunt
        Participant

Hi, Italian Cook. I don't think that KAF puts its cookbook recipes or most of its Baking Sheet recipes on the website. If you would like this recipe, let me know, and I will post it for you. When you do get rye flour, be sure to store it in the refrigerator, or in the freezer if you don't use it often. I also love rye breads. When I do yeast breads with it, I usually combine it with First Clear Flour (KAF sells it), a tip I got from Secrets of a Jewish Baker. My favorite rye bread is my Limpa Bread (a Swedish rye bread); I've posted that recipe on this site.

What I really want to do, maybe this fall, is bake the rye rolls that RiversideLen has posted about. I see much sandwich happiness arising from those.

Italiancook
          Participant

You're right, BakerAunt, the recipe isn't on the KAF website. Thanks for the flour tips.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.