Power Bread (Peter Reinhart) by Karen Noll

Home Forums Recipes Power Bread (Peter Reinhart) by Karen Noll

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    BakerAunt
    Participant

Power Bread by Peter Reinhart
      Submitted by karen_noll on February 20, 2011 at 4:21 am

This is a new bread concept that utilizes seed flours for both flavor and nutrition. The idea is that it is high in protein and fiber for sustained energy release, yet also has quick energy release in the carbohydrates. Flax seeds are one of the real miracle foods that are just now coming into their own in the form of breakfast cereals and such. They are the seeds of the linen plant and are extremely high in omega-3 oils, the oil that has the “good” cholesterol. By germinating them overnight in water, the enzymes are activated, making the seeds easier to digest. The enzyme activity also improves the fermentation of the dough. Sunflower seeks are just plain delicious as well as nutritious, giving the bread a wonderful nutty flavor and a long, pleasant finish. We soak the raisings overnight so they break up during the mixing, almost disappearing in the bread – but not quite! Wheat bran, which is almost pure fiber, can be either bought or simply sifted from whole wheat flour through a strainer. This boosts the fiber count of the bread while still providing enough gluten from the strong bread flour.

Yield: 2 loaves
      Source: Peter Reinhart

5 tablespoons (1 1/4 oz.) Flax seeds
      1 cup (4 oz.) raisins
      1 1/2 cups (12 oz.) water (room temp.)
      1 cup (4 oz.) sunflower seeds (PR note: can use sesame seeds)
      5 1/4 cups (24 oz.) bread flour
      1/4 cup (3/4 oz.) wheat bran
      2 1/2 tablespoons ( 1 1/4 oz.) powdered milk or whey powder
      1 3/4 teaspoons (.4 oz.) salt
      3 teaspoons (1/3 oz.) instant yeast
      2 tablespoons (1.5 oz.) honey (Karen’s note: add to flax seed mixture to dissolve)
      Water as needed (about 1 cup, plus or minus)

The day before making the bread, soak the raisins and flax seeds in the water. Cover and allow to sit at room temperature overnight.

The following day, grind the sunflower seeds in the blender to a flour consistency. Also grind the flaxseed mixture. Combine all the ingredients, including the soaked raisins and flax seeds, in the bowl of an electric mixer or a mixing bowl. Knead for approximately 6-10 minutes, adding additional flour or water as needed to make a firm but supple, slightly tacky dough. It should pass the windowpane test and be about 80 degrees. Place the dough in a lightly oiled bowl, cover, and allow to ferment for approximately 1 1/2 to 2 hours at room temperature.

Shape the dough into either two loaves or into any number of rolls (3 oz. Of dough will make a hamburger-size bun, 2 oz. makes a dinner roll size). Pan the dough, mist light with pan spray, and cover. Allow to rise for about 90 minutes, or until ready to bake.

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees (400 degrees for rolls). Bake on the middle shelf for about 45-55 minutes for loaves, 20-30 minutes for rolls. Cool before serving.

Makes 2 loaves or a number of rolls

comments

Submitted by annzie on Sat, 2011-02-26 11:48.
      Thanks, Karen, I've printed it and will try it soon! Looks interesting.
      Next day: It's rising ;).

Submitted by Midnite Baker on Tue, 2011-03-01 03:17.
      This bread is fantastic!! Has a very nutty flavor because of the ground raisins, flax and sunflower seeds. Used 2 9x5 loaf pans, they rose to the top of pan before I baked them. Not much oven spring, but the dough is very dense, so didn't expect any. My family & I ate a whole loaf in 24 hours. This bread is good just plain, with butter, toasted or in a sandwich. Thanks so much for sharing this recipe. M

Submitted by annzie on Wed, 2011-03-09 17:16.
      Thank you Karen (and PR!). This is really excellent bread!! I glazed the top with some milk, and it browned too quickly, so next time I'll just spritz it with some water. Delicious as bread, or toast with butter, or cream cheese. Very flavorful, sweet, and, yes, it does stick with you.

Submitted by little bit on Tue, 2012-10-02 15:46.
      This bread sounds wonderful, but I don't quite understand the directions. says grind the sunflower seeds and grind the flaxseed mixture. Then it says to combine all the ingredient including the soaked raisins and flax seed. So I don't get what flax seeds are supposed to be ground. Someone who has already tried this bread could probably help me. I'd sure appreciate it.
      Thanks, L B

Spread the word
      • This topic was modified 7 years, 10 months ago by BakerAunt.
    Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.