My Nana’s Stollen by Cindy Leigh

Home Forums Recipes My Nana’s Stollen by Cindy Leigh

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    BakerAunt
    Participant

My Nana's Stollen
      posted by: Cindy Leigh on November 06, 2012 at 3:31 pm in General discussions. I'm putting it into the recipe section, along with the discussion about it, for easier locating.

Stollen
      6 cups AP flour
      1/2 cup plus 2 tbsp sugar
      10 tbsp butter
      1 cup warm water
      4 pkgs dry yeast
      1 tsp mace (or nutmeg)
      5 eggs
      1 tsp salt
      Golden raisins, brown sugar, nuts, maraschino cherries, apricots, butter), almond paste, cinnamon)

Cream butter and sugar. Add eggs.

Dissolve yeast in warm water.

Add salt and mace to flour.

Add yeast/water to flour and mix.

Add the flour mixture to the butter mixture.

Knead well, should be moderately slack but not sticky.

Allow to rise about an hour.

Roll out into a long rectangle. Will be almost a yard long and 18" wide. Very important to roll as thin as possible. This is important.

Dot with small butter pieces, sprinkle with cinnamon, and my optional item is to pulse some almond paste with brown sugar and sprinkle this on. I also add chopped apricots. Chopped nuts of your choice. I also ad sultanas. (Yellow raisins) and maraschino cherries, chopped. Not citron.

Roll up as tightly as possible. bring ends together to form into a very large oval. You may need to foil two cookie sheets together or use a sheet cake pan. Or, divide into thirds or quarters and make smaller stollens. Last year I used the small brown wax disposable tube pans from KAF and baked small ones in that to give as gifts.

Slash the top in diagonal slashes through at least two layers, about every 2 inches.

Bake about 45 min at 350F until Light golden brown. You can put an egg wash on first if you want some shine.

Cool and Glaze with confectioners sugar and milk glaze, and sprinkle with finely chopped nuts. Dot with maraschino cherry halves.

Keep tightly wrapped to keep moist. Also good toasted- just slice and pop in toaster.

reply by: Cindy Leigh on November 06, 2012 at 5:44 pm
      Oh yeah I meant to say I like a bit of buttery sweet dough emulsion in this. Not around in my grandmother's day, but I enjoy it.

reply by: blondie8591 on November 06, 2012 at 5:46 pm
      Thanks, Cindy, I've been looking for a stollen recipe with almond paste in the middle, to make for my mom this year. Thank you so much for sharing a treasured family recipe!

reply by: dachshundlady on November 06, 2012 at 6:19 pm
      I love stollen, but have never duplicated that made by a friend of ours who had been a baker in Germany. He left Germany in the 40's and worked in the bakery of a large state institution for the developmentally disabled. Boy he made wonderful things like Danish, pies and terrific bread not unlike Pepperidge Farms white.

Question about your stollen. 4 envelopes of yeast seems like a lot for 6 cups of flour. Is it due to sugar content or add-ins perhaps?

reply by: frick on November 06, 2012 at 6:54 pm
      I must be tired. At first I thought it said My Nana's Stolen, as in kidnapped. Yikes!
      Good recipes, though. Thanks.

reply by: Cindy Leigh on November 06, 2012 at 8:04 pm
      Yes four packets is correct. It rises like crazy, too!

reply by: Cindy Leigh on November 06, 2012 at 8:06 pm
      Blondie, did you see the thread about homemade almond paste? I'm going to give it a try soon. Almond paste is so pricy!

reply by: dachshundlady on November 10, 2012 at 7:21 am
      Cindy, I would love to try this but like a denser stollen. Do you think if I just cut back on the yeast it might work? I like the idea of dabs of butter rolled up inside. Yum. Right now I am eating one I bought at Home Goods. I know, not anything like your Nana's but I was jonesin' for stollen!

Maybe Kidpizza or Mike Nolan could chime in here. Maybe even a KAF expert!

reply by: KIDPIZZA on November 10, 2012 at 10:47 am
      D'LADY:
      Good morning. Mary~Ann, Baking science dictates that when we employ granulated sugar in excess of 13% to the weight of the flour, we will end up with a decrease in the strength in the dough. This recipe has 22% sugar ratio based on 18.5,oz. of flour. It will bake but you will have a very tender crumb. Soooo, if you wish a dense baked product you must then reduce the sugar to say 12.5% meaning 2,3/8th oz. (1/3rd,cup)

As far as the yeast is concerned it has to have approximately 4 packets (1,0 oz.) because of the excessive amount of sugar. If you decide to reduce the sugar then you can reduce the yeast to 1.5, packets....or 3,tsp. of instant.

Mary~Ann I might add here if you notice the last entry the additions of dried fruit. If you wish a further dense baked product, increase the fruits & nuts somewhat. But Mary~Ann, not too much; otherwise you will need to increase the yeast for the added weight.

Mary~Ann whatever you do it must be done in moderation.

If you do the modification report back.
      Good luck & enjoy the day my friend.
      ~KIDDO
      [NOTE: KP corrects the sugar amount in a post below this one.]

reply by: dachshundlady on November 10, 2012 at 11:19 am
      Thanks Kiddo. Have to gather the ingredients AND my courage.
      reply by: KIDPIZZA on November 10, 2012 at 12:47 pm

D'lady;
      Hello again. Mary~Ann I hope you will forgive me. I made a math error. I just discovered it. The flour weight is 28.5, oz not 18.5 oz. Hence the sugar ratio is 15% to the flour & should be decreased to just 1/2, cup (3.5,oz.) The yeast you can decrease to 3,packets. This modification I believe will increase the density somewhat.

I am sorry Mary~Ann. When I wrote this post I just completed baking 2, dozen cookies as an experiment & I was tired. Half I burnt. Right into the trash. The other half much better but not good enough. Needs more experimenting. I just finished my nap. Then I realized my error.
      Enjoy the day Mary~Ann.

~KIDDO.

reply by: KitchenBarbarian aka Zen on November 10, 2012 at 1:18 pm
      Frick, the exact same thought passed through my mind as well, LOL!

reply by: KitchenBarbarian aka Zen on November 10, 2012 at 1:23 pm
      It happens to us all, KidPizza. Some of us worse than others - the other day I went through half a pack of bagels and burned every single one - in the TOASTER.

reply by: Cindy Leigh on November 10, 2012 at 2:31 pm
      It is dense. I'd say, cut the ingredients in half and try it as written, and see if you like the consistency. It's not at all light and fluffy like an egg bread, for instance.

reply by: dachshundlady on November 10, 2012 at 4:38 pm
      Thanks Kid and Cindy. I really want to put some almond paste or marzipan in it too. Love that stuff. And Kid, I get so mad when sometimes part of my cookies get too brown on the bottom. Of course, DH never complains. He loves his sweets in all forms.

reply by: Cindy Leigh on November 11, 2012 at 8:12 am
      I'm going to use Gina's recipe today for homemade almond paste!

Spread the word
      • This topic was modified 7 years, 10 months ago by BakerAunt.
    Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.