Made rottiedogs raisin bread

Home Forums Baking — Breads and Rolls Made rottiedogs raisin bread

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Italiancook
    Participant

Using the Amish white bread recipe, I made rottiedogs raisin bread. She said I couldn't flop it, but I may have done so. I guess I didn't dry the soaked raisins well enough. When I added them to the KitchenAid bowl, I heard a sloshing sound at the bottom. That should have been my first clue that I needed to add more flour, but I didn't act.

After kneading for the 5 minutes rottiedogs suggested, I knew the dough was too wet. I knew I should have added flour and kneaded some more. Really, I did. My back hurt, so I opted not to pull the flour canister back out of the pantry. I realized how bad a mistake that was when I tried to form the dough into a ball for the first rise. The dough majorly stuck to my fingers and palms.

I preserved with my mistake and put the dough in the bowl. Covered it up and hoped for the best.

As I suspected, the flour absorbed a fair amount of the moisture during the rise. When it was time to put the dough in the pans, it didn't stick to my hands.

Now, the dough is rising in the pans. I have no idea how my mistake will affect the baked products. I hope only mildly, because I want to put one loaf of the raisin bread in the freezer to give to friends later this month. I hope I'm the only one who will realize there was a mistake.

The dough looks terrific, though. Plenty of raisins. Thanks, rottiedogs.

Rottiedogs, I used bread flour for the raisin bread. The Amish recipe calls for bread flour. But I believe I read on this site that you use AP flour. Is there a reason for that?

Spread the word
      • This topic was modified 7 years, 10 months ago by Italiancook.
      Mike Nolan
      Keymaster

If the dough wasn't sticky when you went to shape it, I'm guessing you'll be fine. When I make raisin bread I don't always soak the raisins but if I do, then I prefer to put them on a paper towel and blot them dry. I still sometimes get some sloshing around in the bottom of the bowl, which is why I generally don't add the raisins to the bowl. I pat the bread into a square on a lightly floured work surface, put the raisins on, and twist and knead it until the raisins are fairly evenly distributed in the dough.

BakerAunt
        Participant

Italian Cook:

Although Rottiedogs posted the thread, the recipe is Wonky's. Let us know how your bread turned out. As Mike says, if you were able to shape it, it should be fine.

I also have to hike to get to my flour in my current kitchen--and out to the garage refrigerator to get the specialty ones. After doing some rearrangement two weeks ago, I finally was able to get my salt, baking soda, and baking powder out of the pantry and into a kitchen cabinet. It felt triumphant.

Let us know how your bread came out.

Italiancook
          Participant

Wonky, a thousand apologies! I obviously don't know how to read the threads. So sorry, but so grateful for the Raisin Bread recipe. I haven't cut it yet. Put it in a plastic bag for tomorrow's breakfast. Will let everyone know how it turned out. The sides seem squishy. I wonder if that's the way the bread is supposed to feel, or if it's from my mistake. Will know in a few hours.

BakerAunt, thanks many times over for setting me straight on whose recipe it is. I appreciate the education.

Mike, your way of making raisin bread sounds interesting. I may try it next time.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.