Home Cooking by Grandmas

Home Forums General Discussions Home Cooking by Grandmas

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    BakerAunt
    Participant

Now this is the kind of restaurant that gets my attention:

http://gothamist.com/2016/10/06/enoteca_maria_staten_island.php

Spread the word
      Mike Nolan
      Keymaster

Sounds like the kitchen would be an interesting place to work, or just watch and listen. (Might help to be able to speak Italian, though.)

BakerAunt
        Participant

One reason that I enjoyed the story is that I don't have any great cooking (or baking) memories of my grandmothers. Both worked throughout their marriages, so maybe that is why there was not a lot of experimentation. In the case of my maternal grandmother, her mother-in-law lived with them, even after my grandmother was widowed and remarried, and my mom told me that she did the cooking. So, I only remember, as a child, having fried spam (hey, we thought it was great!), Kraft macaroni and cheese, and Velveta cheese, as well as eating either raw turnip or rutabaga as my grandmother peeled it.

Italiancook
          Participant

BakerAunt, all the cooking and baking you do is really great, since you didn't have a grandmother's influence in the kitchen. You're making the memories you missed out on, although you appear to have cute memories of them (Velvetta & rutabaga).

I don't have many grandmotherly memories in the kitchen. I recall one grandmother cooking only for the annual picnic. She would never have allowed a child to help her. My other grandmother made a Banana Cake with me once. I can recall her method for making fried potatoes, but otherwise, nothing.

My dad was the cook from whom I learned the most. My mother canned a lot each summer, but I didn't inherit the desire to do that. Maybe that's the difference between rural-living and city life.

• This reply was modified 7 years, 6 months ago by Italiancook.
            Mike Nolan
            Keymaster

My mother was a pretty good cook, she worked in a restaurant for a while so she was adept at all the 'short order cook' stuff. We ate a lot of hash and chop suey, because it was easy to make enough to feed 6 kids. She worked full-time from the time I was in 5th grade, but she could throw together a pretty good meal in a half hour.

My grandmother was even better, I can still smell her pressure-cooked ham. I don't know what she put in it, the closest I've come is to marinate the ham in Dr. Pepper. In a small town we did a lot of pot lucks, and my grandmother would bring a variety of casseroles, though I honestly don't know what they were any more.

Her rice pudding was creamy and my grandfather ate a bowl of it nearly every day. She didn't use a recipe, and I've never duplicated that taste and texture, a combination of rice and tapioca comes pretty close, but I'm fairly sure she didn't use tapioca.

I helped can a lot of pickles and tomatoes growing up, and a fair amount of apple jelly too. I don't do much canning these days, I'm more likely to freeze stuff, like tomato sauce.

BakerAunt
              Participant

My mom was influenced by the packaged food craze that really took off in the 1960s--and our family is large, so I can't blame her--,but she had certain specialties that were more from scratch, such as her spaghetti sauce. She would make a giant pot of it, and also make a giant pot of chili at the same time. Some of it she would freeze. I still make a variation of her spaghetti sauce (although my husband cannot eat it due to the heavy tomato sauce and spices). Before I was married, I'd make a big pot of it at the start of the semester, and freeze it in two-cup serving containers for fast meals. (I do miss being able to do that.) She also made an excellent turkey tetrazzini casserole, and I found that froze well too in small portions. Her other major claim to fame was her hamburger stroganoff, with its Campbell's cream of chicken soup. She made a mashed potato salad--without a recipe--that one of her grandmother's had made. That one I don't have, but it was yellow from the yolks and the mustard and had dill pickle and lettuce in it. She never let a turkey carcass go to waste but made broth.

She didn't do a lot of baking, but every now and then she would get excited and try a new recipe. The Coconut Bavarian Cream Pie with chocolate coconut crust was a favorite. I've made it in the past, until the fear of raw egg white put me off. I also bake her pumpkin pie recipe, and she usually made it from scratch--although she would use the leftover jack-o-lantern!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.