Gordon Food Services

Home Forums Sources Gordon Food Services

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    BakerAunt
    Participant

We had to make a trip to South Bend today to deal with three recall issues on my car. As we like to get in some shopping when we are there, we both drove in, and then my husband drove us around while we waited for my car. One place we were close to was Gordon Food Services, so we stopped there, and I found a LARGE roll of 18-inch saran. I will no longer need to fear running out of the box I brought from Texas. I'd been rationing it for rolling out dough, but now I can use it to wrap loaves of bread for the freezer, as I do not like having to use two pieces of the smaller saran. It's a big box that will have to take up residence on top of the dryer in the back of the kitchen area.

While I was there, I also checked for large bags of active Red Star Yeast and bought a 2-lb. bag for $6.49, which is a little less than 50 cents cheaper than the KAF price. I go through about a bag a year these days, so I will split it between two containers.

I checked their flour, but I was not sure what was what. There were large bags of two kinds of bread flour, a pastry flour, and a "bakers flour. There was no wholegrain flour, and the small bags of some Bob's Red Mill ingredients were not deals.

Spread the word
      • This topic was modified 4 years, 4 months ago by BakerAunt.
      Mike Nolan
      Keymaster

I have the big box of 18" plastic wrap and aluminum foil from Sams. I've tried both the regular and the heavy duty foil, I like the heavy duty one better.

GFS has a lot of good stuff, their meats usually look very good but I've never been at one close enough to home to be able to buy stuff that needed to stay cold. (I've been to ones in Indianapolis, Madison and Tennessee, there isn't one in Nebraska.)

I wasn't impressed with their flour products, either, but I have bought several large containers of spices and herbs from them, and they sell cherry syrup that we used at the soda fountain. And they usually carry a good assortment of restaurant grade cookware and smallware.

But like Sams and Costco, you need to know prices or you wind up buying stuff that isn't much of a bargain.

I did buy a box of 2 gallon zip lock bags from them, that's a hard size to find.

BakerAunt
        Participant

The one in South Bend seems set up more for caterers, home party givers, and tailgaters. I didn't see much by way of cooking equipment. A lot of the food was of the quantity, not particularly healthy, variety. I didn't look at meat or dairy, as we did not have means to keep such items cold.

I really liked that commercial kitchen store in Lubbock that was open to the public.

I don't have a Sam's or a Costco membership. We don't go to South Bend frequently enough to make it worth while.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 4 months ago by BakerAunt.
          Mike Nolan
          Keymaster

The last GFS I went to was in a large shopping center in Tennessee and seemed to be catering to retail customers though it still had a lot of items for the restaurant trade.

The restaurant supply store in Lincoln closed their showroom (they still have one in Omaha, I believe), so I'm probably more dependent on Sams and Costco than before, plus online ordering. Whenever I'm in Pittsburgh visiting my son and his family I try to make a trip down to the Strip District to visit the restaurant supply stores there.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.