Frico Caldo

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    BakerAunt
    Participant

Back in April of 2012, I was on a Southwest flight and looked at their magazine. I saw a recipe for Frico Caldo, and I tore out the page and took it with me. (Trust me, they had plenty of these Sprit magazines, and this one had been thoroughly thumbed.) According to the article, "in Friuli, the northeastermost region of Italy, restaurants and bars typically put out little bowls of crackers called frico picante, made with Montasio, a local cow's milk cheese. You'll also find frico caldo, which is similar but heartier with potatoes and onions."

It has taken me a while to try to recipe. First I was looking for a square cast iron 4-inch pan (settled for 5 inch--thank, you TJ Maxx). Then I lost the recipe. Then I found the recipe and put it where I wouldn't lose it. Then I realized I needed Grapeseed oil, which I finally remembered to buy.

Yesterday I finally made this recipe, albeit with ingredients I had on hand, since if I keep waiting to get every detail, it would never get made. I had to substitute a russet potato for the Yukon gold and cheddar cheese for Montasio. The mashed potato was mixed with the cheese and some onion sautéed in butter. Then I fried half of it at a time in the grapeseed oil.

I had a few issues. I don't think the pan had enough seasoning, but that will come in time. There was some sticking, in spite of overdoing the grapeseed oil. I also think that 4 minutes on the first side works better than 5. I plan to try it again at some point and use the correct potato and cheese types. I'll post the recipe when I get it to where I like it. I'm hopeful because even my husband, who prefers no onion, happily ate it.

Spread the word
      • This topic was modified 7 years, 12 months ago by BakerAunt.
      Mike Nolan
      Keymaster

Did they look anything like this:

Frico Caldo

Nina Beyt
        Participant

Looks terrific. Potato pancake, Italian style. When bakeraunt first said "Frico Caldo", I thought she meant frico, those discs made by heating a flattened pile of parmesan (or romano or asiago) in a pan, non-stick I advise, until it melts into a lacy crispy golden bite of deliciousness. I have no problem with subbing the potatoes, oil or even the Montasio. Though I would love to taste Montasio. I hope olive oil would work without to much smoking.

Mike Nolan
          Keymaster

Yum, cheese 'crackers'. I introduced our granddaughter to them at Christmas, she thought they were marvelous!

BakerAunt
            Participant

Yes, Mike, that picture is what they were supposed to look like. I'll post the recipe soon, if others would like to play around with it.

Nina Beyt
              Participant

Well, of course, BakerAunt, I would like to try it. I may even try to find Montasio if the Cheese Store is still in Silverlake (an old section of town that used to be favored by LA nobility (architects, writers, musicians), that still has an artsy vibe. Whole Foods may even have it. It would be fun to taste test it against something else, or find a similar product not so pricey. I still may use olive oil.

BakerAunt
                Participant

I have posted the recipe in the recipe section. I'll be interested in hearing what others do in making it.

Nina Beyt
                  Participant

Thanks, BakerAunt. When you quoted the SW Airlines magazine, I had thought I would grab one next week when we trek to Austin. But I can't travel back in time to 2012! So you came through the time warp and brought me another reason to make potatoes and cheese. Yay.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.