Fresh Strawberry Bread

Home Forums Recipes Fresh Strawberry Bread

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    BakerAunt
    Participant

Fresh Strawberry Bread

I adapted this recipe from a “My Best Recipe” that appeared in the Los Angeles Times over 25 years ago, and I've noted what changes I make.
      1 cup sugar
      1/2 cup (4 oz. or 1 stick) unsalted butter
      1/2 tsp. strawberry extract (original recipe used almond extract, which is also good)
      2 eggs (original recipe separated them and beat the whites separately)
      2 cups flour (I use 1 1/2 unbleached flour and 1/2 cup whole wheat pastry flour)
      1/4 cup powdered milk (I added; you may omit)
      1 tsp. baking powder
      1 tsp. baking soda
      1 tsp. salt
      1 cup strawberry puree (original recipe says crushed or chopped) [For best flavor use very ripe strawberries. The recipe also said that you could use a thawed 10 oz. package of frozen ones, but I’ve not tried that.
      In medium bowl, cream together the sugar and butter. Mix in the extract. One at a time, beat in the eggs (or egg yolks, if you separated them). In another bowl, stir together the dry ingredients. Add the flour mixture, alternately with the pureed strawberries, beginning and ending with the flour mixture. (I use a low mixer speed–1 or 2). If you separated the eggs, beat the egg whites until stiff, then fold into the strawberry mixture.
      Grease and flour (I spray with Baker’s Joy) a 9×5-inch loaf pan, or three mini-loaf pans. (Sizes on mini-loaf pans vary, so use your judgment. I use three “Baker’s Secret” ones that are at least as old as this recipe.)
      Bake at 350F for 50-60 minutes for the large loaf. The small ones take about 30 minutes. They are done when a cake tester comes out clean. Cool on rack for 15 minutes. Remove from pans and cool completely on rack. It freezes well when double-wrapped and bagged.

Note about the strawberry extract: I used pure strawberry extract from Olive Nation that I bought at the Fancy Flours site. I had bought it for a strawberry cake and realized it would be a great addition to this bread.

Spread the word
    Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.