For fans of Amish White Bread

Home Forums Threads Saved from the KAF Baking Circle For fans of Amish White Bread

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    rottiedogs
    Participant

For fans of Amish White Bread

Wonky
      Had a craving for raisin bread this past week. Although I have tried many raisin bread recipes, have never found one that I truly thought was awesome.

This past week, I used the "Amish White Bread" recipe to make raisin bread. I have to say this is just superb. I soaked two cups of raisins for about an hour, then added the soaking water to the water called for in the recipe. I added the raisins to the final 5 minutes of kneading in my KA. (should mention I drained the raisins on paper toweling to absorb any extra water before adding to the dough)

This bread was soft, moist, and full of flavor. It kept very well, probably due to the extra moisture from the raisins.

If you are a raisin bread fan, I think you will be pleased with this wonderful bread.

badge posted by: Wonky on April 28, 2013 at 10:37 am in General discussions
      share on: Twitter, Facebook
      Replies to this discussion

Save
      Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save" to activate your changes.
      reply by: Antilope on April 28, 2013 at 10:44 am
      Antilope
      This sound really good, I want to try the recipe.

A hint for dog owners. I have chihuahuas. It always seems that a random raisin will end up on the floor and raisins (and grapes) are toxic to dogs. I always replace raisins with crasins (dried cranberries) which are okay for dogs, in case a random one falls on the floor.

reply by: RikkiMama on April 28, 2013 at 11:13 am
      RikkiMama
      Do you have a link to the "Amish White Bread" recipe, please? I've been in the mood for Raisin Bread.

reply by: elsa on April 28, 2013 at 1:50 pm
      elsa
      Wonky, is this the recipe you use? http://community.kingarthurflour.com/content/amish-bread

reply by: Wonky on April 28, 2013 at 4:25 pm
      Wonky
      Baker Friends...the recipe is from allrecipes.com. Just put Amish White Bread in the search. It is a 5 Star recipe, and it deserves the 5 star status. When I make this bread for sandwiches or toast, I decrease the sugar from 2/3 cup to l/3 Cup. But when I used it for raisin bread, I used the full 2/3 cup. Adjust of course for your personal taste.

If you follow the directions as stated, it will be perfect. You will notice per the directions, that you are supposed to knead this dough after the first rise ... I have always done this..and I think this is one of the things that makes the crumb of this bread so awesome.

Enjoy, and let me know your results.

reply by: elsa on April 28, 2013 at 9:04 pm
      elsa
      Thanks for the recipe, Wonky. However, it was interesting in that the how-to video, the second kneading was not done. I will try this in an ABM, but also do the second kneading.

reply by: Wonky on April 28, 2013 at 9:26 pm
      Wonky
      elsa...I noticed that also, but decided to follow the written instructions. Also, the bread in the video is (I do believe) not up to par with the bread you or I would make. Bragging a little maybe, but my finished product (and probably yours) will look much better. Just saying... LOL

reply by: buttercup on April 29, 2013 at 12:13 am
      buttercup
      Saving thread. Thanks for the recipe.

reply by: mlow on April 29, 2013 at 1:01 am
      mlow
      Thank you for the recipe Wonky, I was able to pin it on my Pinterest account which makes it so easy to access.

reply by: dachshundlady on April 29, 2013 at 8:46 am
      dachshundlady
      I'd like to add that Paddy's buttermilk sourdough makes terrific raisin bread. Just add raisins and extra sweetener. I also sneak in a cinnamon swirl. The best toast!

reply by: elsa on April 29, 2013 at 9:46 am
      elsa
      Thanks, Wonky - I'm glad to know your (and hopefully my) bread will turn out better. The pictured loaf left something to be desired.

reply by: blackcreekpapa1 on May 03, 2013 at 4:53 pm
      blackcreekpapa1
      just made this recipe, it was fantastic, quick, easy, and very tasty. I will try it as raisin bread next. Thank you.

reply by: Wonky on May 03, 2013 at 7:27 pm
      Wonky
      blackcreekpapa1...I am pleased you tried, and liked the bread. I made 6 large loaves of the raisin bread today with this recipe. It may seem like I used a large amount of raisins, but I like a slice of raisin bread with more than 2 raisins per slice like the "stuff" you buy in the store. You may want to adjust this amount to your liking.

I froze 2 loaves, gave a loaf to the neighbors who have 3 little boys under the age of 4, and love raisin bread also. Gave a loaf to my wonderful elderly neighbor (she is 97), sent a loaf home with my son, and kept a loaf to make cinnamon french toast for breakfast. YUM!!!!

reply by: Midnite Baker on May 05, 2013 at 1:20 am
      Midnite Baker
      Saving thread. Thanks for the recipes.

Spread the word
      Italiancook
      Participant

I'm not a big bread fan, so I only make it when I want something specific. If I'm hungry for tomato-basil bruschetta, I make Cuban Bread. If I want a sandwich with Italian deli meats, I use KAF Tuscan-Style Bread with Herbs. Now, you have me yearning for raisin bread. I haven't had a good loaf of raisin bread since we left Chicago.

In total, how long do you knead the dough in your KA? You say 5 minutes after addition of raisins, but how long prior to that? I ask, because I make bread infrequently and haven't yet mastered kneading in the KA.

Thanks.

BakerAunt
        Participant

You might want to look at Wonky's post in the thread "What Makes a Good Raisin-Cinnamon Swirl bread" (or some variation on that title). She posts the recipe and all the changes she makes, which alters the recipe somewhat.

wonky
          Participant

I really have butchered the original recipe...one of the things I really like to do, just to see if I can improve on an already great recipe. I can't even count how many loaves I have made with this recipe. I also use it as the base for cinnamon/swirl, raisin, lite WW (sub 2 cups of WW flour for 2 cups of the AP, to which I also add a couple tablespoons of molasses, and 2 tablespoons of gluten.

Italiancook...I generally start out with 8 minutes total for the kneading, after it pulls away from the sides of the bowl. But, I also go by the feel of the dough, to determine if I need a bit more kneading. That would mean, in general, I would knead for approx. 3 minutes before the addition of the raisins. An aside...at my favorite mennonite store, they have started carrying "jumbo raisins"..I mean these are are the cat's meow. Huge, plump raisins. If you would like to try tangzhong with this dough, then that requires a longer knead...probably 12 to 15 minutes...in which case I don't add the raisins til the last 5 minutes of that longer knead.

Rottiedogs, glad you enjoyed the raisin bread...it is just the best isn't it?

Happy baking all!!!!

Italiancook
            Participant

Thanks, Wonky & BakerAunt for your help. I'm planning on making this raisin bread on Saturday. I'll let you know how it turns out when BakerAunt posts her weekly, "What did you bake." Of course, if I flop the recipe, I may not want to mention it.

wonky
              Participant

You will not "flop" the bread...of that I am sure. It will always be better than anything you can buy in a store, or even a bakery.

Today I made 4 loaves of raisin bread, with those fat plump raisins, 4 loaves of cinnamon swirl/raisin bread, and 4 loaves of regular white. It was a beautiful day for baking. Starting tomorrow, Friday, it is supposed to get to 90 plus degrees, and I didn't want to heat up the house even more by baking for hours.

Will probably turn on the AC tonight, as the humidity is starting to set in already.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.