Espresso and Kahlua Brownie Chip Cookies by Lorraine

Home Forums Recipes Espresso and Kahlua Brownie Chip Cookies by Lorraine

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    BakerAunt
    Participant

Espresso & Kahlua Brownie Chip Cookie by Lorraine
      Recipe was posted on the old BC, then Karen Noll put it in a thread on the new BC.

Do you have a desire for a very chocolate cookie that is not too sweet? I just love the taste of dark chocolate with a hint of espresso. I created this cookie with a crunchy outside, a soft inside like an espresso brownie and an extra addition of Ghirardelli dark chocolate chips. Use a 1/4 cup cookie scoop sprayed with Pam to keep the cookies the same size. Lorraine

• 6 Ounces Sweet Chocolate Squares (Ghirardelli Sweet Dark Chocolate)
      • 1/2 Cup Butter, diced, (1 stick)
      • 1 Teaspoon Instant Coffee Powder, Italian Espresso

• 2 Large Eggs
      • 1/2 Cup Sugar
      • 1/2 Cup Brown Sugar
      • 2 Teaspoons Vanilla, Mexican or Bourbon
      • 2 Tablespoons Kahlua, Coffee Liqueur

• 1 1/2 Cups Flour
      • 1/4 Cup Unsweetened Cocoa (Ghirardelli Unsweetened Cocoa Powder)
      • 1 Teaspoon Baking Powder

• 3 Ounces Chocolate Chips (Ghirardelli Double Chocolate Chips)

1. Preheat the oven to 325 degrees. Have 3 large cookie sheets ready. Place 3 oven racks evenly spaced in the middle of the oven.

2. In a glass bowl, microwave the unsweetened chocolate, butter and instant coffee powder for 1-2 minutes until melted. Take out before completely melted and whisk together to melt completely. Set aside to cool slightly.

3. With a stand mixer, with the paddle attachment, on medium speed (4), beat the eggs, sugars, vanilla and Kahlua until creamy and lighter colored, about 2 minutes.

4. On low speed (2), slowly pour in the melted cooled chocolate mixture, beating until smooth.

5. In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, cocoa and baking powder. Beat into the dough by tapping in on low speed (2). Beat for about 2 minutes until blended.

6. With a rubber spatula fold in the chocolate chips BY HAND. Because the dough is very soft, refrigerate for 30 minutes to firm up.

7. Drop by 1/4 cup measure 6 to a cookie sheet. Flatten slightly with a cup. Bake 3 sheets at a time if you like.

8. Bake 15-20 minutes until the tops are shiny and cracked. Do not over bake. Let the cookies cool on the cookie sheets for 15 minutes until set, then remove to a tray to cool before storing.
      revised 02/04

18 servings:Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 210 Calories; 10g Fat (43.6% calories from fat); 3g Protein; 28g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber; 35mg Cholesterol; 90mg Sodium. Exchanges: 1/2 Grain(Starch); 0 Lean Meat; 2 Fat; 1 1/2 Other Carbohydrates

Spread the word
      BakerAunt
      Participant

bakeraunt on September 15, 2013 at 11:26 pm

I baked this recipe last night, and my husband and stepchildren really liked it. However, I had to make some changes because some of the specific products are no longer available. First, I could not find a Ghirardelli sweet chocolate bar, so I used a semi-sweet bar. Also, the bars now come in 4 oz. (don't you love it when a company downsizes a product?), so I used one and a half bars. I might consider substituting Baker's Sweet chocolate bar next time. I added 1/4 tsp salt, as I used unsalted butter. I did not find Ghirardelli unsweetened cocoa powder at the store. I substituted King Arthur's Dutch Process cocoa, rather than natural cocoa (since the recipe called for baking powder not baking soda). The chocolate chips also required a substitution. Ghirardelli does not make the small double-chocolate chips anymore. Instead, they make a 60% cacao bittersweet one, and they are large--about three times the size of regular chips. These are nice for large cookies, but I miss the old product for some recipes, and I would have preferred smaller chips in these large ones. Finally, I used my 1/4 cup scoop and ended up with 13 rather than 18 cookies. I baked them in two batches, since I never have success in my oven with baking two sheets of cookies at once--even rotating them half-way through the time. I think it best to keep the batter refrigerated until shortly before baking.

reply by: --jej on September 16, 2013 at 9:47 am
        You hit it on the money, bakeraunt. I use what I can get. Used a combo of Baker's bittersweet chocolate and some semi-sw. chips. There wasn't an alternative. Also couldn't find the Kahlua (must have been all used up -- it's been a while) so used the Italian Espresso Ground Coffee for that as well as for the Espresso... and they turned out beautifully delicious! I also used a small scoop for smaller cookies. I cannot get two pans in oven at once, so let the rest of the dough sit in fridge while one pan was baking. Didn't seem to bother or 'hurt' the next batch at all.

BakerAunt
        Participant

If you want a slightly healthier version of this recipe (it will never be health food), I've found that white whole wheat flour can replace the AP flour, which gives the cookies some wholegrain fiber.

The chocolate chips can be deleted if you choose.

I also found that 1/3 cup canola oil can replace the 1/2 cup of melted butter. Go ahead and put the oil in a measuring cup, add the chocolate and carefully microwave and stir. If you use this oil option, I suggest scooping the dough immediately onto parchment-lined baking sheets, flattening the balls slightly, then refrigerating the pans for 30 minutes before baking. I haven't run a test, but my oil-based pie crust recommended refrigerating the pie dough in the pan for an hour to "relax the gluten," and my oil-based cookies seem to bake with better texture when I do a short refrigeration.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 2 months ago by BakerAunt.
        Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.